Opr Set-ups

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Hi Ed - reible! yep! I had caught that post in here somewhere. Probably wouldn't have thought of it myself. My last use of the OPR included a 3x4x6 wood block. Also used a 5/4 cutoff. This helped quite a bit. I'm going to get a bottle jack after Christmas. They are pretty inexpensive at Harbor Freight. Don't really need a 2 ton jack for this purpose, but they are very available for little money!

Thanks for your input!:)
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Since I've made the last three posts - it's probably time to quit this thread.

Just wanted to say - I used the OPR today to mill the control bar dadoes into the shutter rails. It took only 25 minutes to get the router arm out of storage, install the router, make the set up and mill two dadoes. I used the very bottom (far right) position of the main table and placed the arm where I had previously marked the way tubes with indelible marker. Took only an additional 10 minutes to disassemble the OPR stow it and lay the router on the bench.

Used the OPR table and the flat wooden fence (from sawdust session) layed on it's side. Result was good recesses for the control bar.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi,

Don't end the post yet... I was just getting to posting a message.

I was shocked to see the "mess" almost enough to go out and take mine apart to see what it looks like. However with the shop at 45 deg and the thought of cold metal tools and having to handle them stopped me.... and right now it is at 10.9 deg outside so I don't see it being warm enough for a while for any inspection.

I will also say that I don't think you have a harden part. You have had the OPR only a short time, and it has seen limited use compaired to what it should expect to see in a life time... yea something is wrong and I think you should get Nick to send you the parts then pop them in and send back the ones you have to be inspected.

You also mentioned 5.5mm allen wrenches and yes they are common and fact I would even go so far as to say very common. Howeven I am a little shocked to here they are in a shopsmith, so did you happen to try like a 7/32"?

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

O.K. Ed - Tomorrow after I finish the shutter (I hope) I'll take the thing apart again and photo the results of my "fix". I have to use the OPR again tomorrow, anyway, because I forgot to mill the relief slots in the other two rails.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Here are photos showing the results of my "fix" for the ridges on the shaft and for the end of the handle bolt. Since the fix - the overhead router has been through two set-ups and removals. The last set up took only 12 minutes including installing the router. This is because I had marked the spot where the router arm attaches and the spot where the table goes. (The opr table was already on the main table.) I'm joing to post another thread telling my simple way to make set-up for verticle overhead routing.

I'm happy with the results of the fix and will keep all parts! No parts going back! I think the major single cause of my problem of handle movement although tight, was caused by the slanted end on the handle bolt. The handle when tightened, only touched the ridges at the highest point. This didn't give enough clamping pressure to hold the handle from moving. Yes, the bolt on the other end of the shaft was tight.

I'll even include a pix of what I was doing and the set-up. Finished the next shutter today. (except for painting) Painting will go fast with the HVLP equipment.

[ATTACH]630[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]631[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]632[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]633[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]634[/ATTACH]
Attachments
result of the fix.jpg
result of the fix.jpg (121.06 KiB) Viewed 15487 times
results of the fix.jpg
results of the fix.jpg (120.41 KiB) Viewed 15488 times
HPIM1633.jpg
HPIM1633.jpg (130.37 KiB) Viewed 15487 times
HPIM1635.jpg
HPIM1635.jpg (109.61 KiB) Viewed 15487 times
HPIM1643.jpg
HPIM1643.jpg (126.05 KiB) Viewed 15487 times
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
mtobey
Gold Member

Post by mtobey »

Hello all- I am the new owner of an SS with jointer, belt sander, jig/scroll saw and now a free standing OPR. I bought the OPR primarily for pin-pattern work. In general I am impressed with the quality of Shopsmith machines and accessories. They remind me of good old days "arn."
I have a Jessem table, FX Lift freestanding router table so I wavered between the new style or the standalone. I would like to experiment with these units and to that end I wish SS would sell components as well as the complete units.
I give high compliments to the two versions which offer an affordable solid OPR. I understand aftermarket sales uniqueness or brand specific designs but the table insert should be one of the two standard sizes in the router table world outside of the SS family. I do have the option of building a whole new table to mount on my freestander, but why. A unique part of the SS design is the option to pin the upper or the lower. If I were permitted to buy the new arm and clamps only I could choose my preference and push the units farther. even just being able to buy the way-tube clamps would help considerably.
Like our OP, I put the foam cored double stick tape on the router clamping surfaces- I will definitely do the quill handle/lock tune-up reported here- and use a top quality anti-seize for gib lube and thread lube.
If theis second generation OPR and table were to replace the 10-24 inserts with the industry standard 1/4- 20- at least the T tracks appear to be standard of the industry.
PLEASE,PLEASE don't think I am a new guy know-it-all. The basic SS 500 was given to me. After a few hours on the unit I was hooked- went to my home woodworking forum and sang its praises- some feedback was the OK but PIA change-overs comments, but a few came out- they validated my praise.
To me, 61 yoa, and my father a post Navy discharge original buyer of an early unit, I'll"duel" over the good name "Shopsmith." A few years ago I saw a demo at an HD- and the memories flowed back. Then this unit came to me as a gift- so I could do my custom wood planes and other tools inside sheltered from the Iowa winter elements. It should be fairly obvious that I want to use this tool to its best advantage and for whatever time "the Man" has left for me.
Besides the SPT's, I have installed another carriage and table left of the powerhead. There is just the right space to properly use a coupler. I bought a two bearing quill, accessory miter slider bars, and the router chucks for the standard headstock in 1/4 and 1/2. The two most important other things I have pending on order are the Improved 500 rip fence and a complete speed change assembly. I have 3 of the miter gauge with hold-down so I can use multiple sliding cross fences all of which have alternative toggle clamp arrangements.
With the Far East making the kind of solid home-grown tools like our beloved SS at risk, I want to do all I can to keep reintroducing the SS to the skeptics and maybe someday design an accessory or two that many will find useful with their Shopsmiths.
And to that end, new as I am, I am lobbying Nick to think about some of my ideas- continue to do more hook-ups as done with Incra lately.
My apologies for being so presumptuous, and regards to all( and thanks for this forum) J. E. Mike Tobey
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Mike - First of all - welcome to the forum! I for one really enjoy your enthusiasm for Shopsmith. Also glad there are some of the "unwashed" that are willing to accept your praises of Shopsmith.

Your post was full of questions and info. Too many subjects for me to comment on here. If you could post these items separately in separate threads, I think you will have better luck in getting comments/discussions.

A few items in your post especially picked up my interest. First - I think you can purchase the OPR clamps by calling Shopsmith and asking for them. Shopsmith is excellent at providing parts and parts lists for all of their products.
Second, I'm glad you will take a look at your handle lock up system
Third, Just a couple drops of oil work for me on the gibs.
Fourth, I'd love to see some photos of one or more of your wooden hand planes.

Keep on reading this Forum - it's full of good information.
I'm sure you can find answers to any questions through this forum.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
mtobey
Gold Member

Post by mtobey »

Than you for the welcome. My OPR is assembled now. A fairly significant disappointment is 3/32nd- 1/8th" sag in the middle ,including the plate. I am now thinking I may try to mount the stand post and overarm on my standalone Jessem. The table is 1 1/8th" solid phenolic- dead flat even with the 890 PC router and FX lift in place all of the time. The other alternative would be to screw and epoxy stiff angle steel across the width in the front and rear to draw it flat. But, since the core is MDF, I may still have to battle humidity impact.
My rack is in good shape and I have a 690 VS STS 1 3/4 motor in it and will leave it there. Using star knobs in 1/4-20 I made the depth stop quicker to set and more likely to stay set. Put a similar on the clear chipguard.
As for parts sales- when I called asking to buy the clamps and the arm assembly I was told that if it isn't separately shown with its own part number, I cannot buy as a part. With a $700 routertable set-up already going, that was a real shame. It also accounts for why I bought the standalone from a well known member here. That kind of response is discomforting when the future may involve replacements or upgrades and imaginative stretching of the unit's capabilities.
This is only my second post, but I feel compelled to comment- when 3 orders for ordinary accessories are unfulfilled and after polite questioning the email is pretty much "We don't know when we can fill your order.," confidence is shaken.
Are all of us( apology to Nick and all) ignoring the 800 pound gorilla in the room? I was trying to spend some significant money for needs just in case the gorilla wakes up. There are many things I could get on ebay, but I was trying to put $$$ into Shopsmith. Instead it is going to sellers on ebay. Maybe all it takes is a word or two from Nick or some other liaison person who hears our comments to trickle the info to sales people about pricing and offering components. I probably have about $1000-1500 in post gift( of the basic unit) purchases in the past two weeks. I wish most all of that could have been thrown through the company doors.
A clear advantage I can report on the free standing unit. With the ability to pivot the arm around the post and with the clever T-track table mounting to the stand, centering is easy. Again, I have high praise for continued ingenuity and working with Incra, Kreg and one other outside vendor. I am eagerly awaiting the drop ship of the Incra Miter express for my 500. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Thanks again.Mike
dusty
Platinum Member

OPR Setups

Post by dusty »

Mike, do I understand correctly? Are you reporting that the individual piece parts of the OPR are NOT AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE?
:eek:
If so, this is certainly a departure from the Shopsmith that I have dealt with for so many years.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
mtobey
Gold Member

Post by mtobey »

I was specifically told that if the item was not listed with its own part number and price listing, I could not purchase that part. I lurked the forums before opening my all too often direct, unflinching mouth. And, backorder is: upgrade rip fence, table inserts, adapter for dust collection, speed change assembly, 12" sanding disc and I tried to buy the cone disc and sandpaper if I recall correctly and more. The miter express is drop from Incra. I should have just bought a standard one and changed the runners. The OPR is/was a dream come true for me, especially with the well machined heavy duty nature of Shopsmith SPT's. The warped table( through no fault of the seller who is very knowledgeable) has me chasing my tail and biting it, not knowing why my butt hurts. Critical depth control is the key to pin routing. The option, other than trying to move my Jessem to it, is to make a carrier with the "female" of the shapes I need 12" wide or more, hoping to ride over the dip. For $400 plus( again, no gripe on the private seller) it is a shame. I sure wish Nick would come on and set me straight, but, he needs his time off too.mt