Bandsaw upgrade

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Bandsaw upgrade

Post by Ed in Tampa »

I have been reluctant to upgrade my cast iron band saw to the new aluminum table. The biggest reason is cost vs payback and the fact that once I upgrade will not be able to store my bandsaw in its present location any longer. It will be too big to fit and I will have to move my shop around to make room.

This leads me to my question. Has anyone bought, seen or used the Rockler bandsaw table? It is an aux table you place over top of your existing bandsaw table. It offers a fence, mitre guide slots, circle cutter and most everything the SS upgrade offers. Rockler has the table on sale for $99 which seems like a fantastic price especially compared to the cost of the SS upgrade.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?Offe ... ct=Details

On the negative the increased table thickness will cut down resaw size that is something to consider is there any thing else?

I'm looking for feedback. What do you guys think?
Ed
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

You can't build it for that price.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Ed - Think you would want to check first to see the size of the long miter bar. I think Rockler supplies it with the fence. Will that bar fit the Shopsmith table?
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA