Lathe chisel rack

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

cincinnati
Platinum Member

Post by cincinnati »

mrhart wrote:I like it, does it hold that things that well, or do you have to stick em on there kinda-a careful like?
This magnetic bar hold things very well. I place them the way you see so if they do slide the handle will stop the slide. But it is not a problem at all, I could hang them cutting side up.

The cheaper magnetic bars I have purchased ($5) at discount stores and such does not have much holding power. The one in the photo cost $18 4 or 5 years ago.
"Prove to all the world Metal rules the land"
-Judas Priest, Heavy Duty.
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

First off I am proud of the granddaughter. When reminded of her bleeding comment sometime later she denied ever saying it. Yes I am proud of her oh yeah I already said that..

I have built a couple of cabinets that in part created "point down" lathe storage" See attached, http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=8365&highlight=lathe+storage+cabinet

I also have one of the Rockler lathe storage turntable like this one http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=22632&site=ROCKLER

I will confess that I like it to a point but am currently working on a better solution most likely made from wood and with holes custom fit to about a dozen tools. All will have closed circle holes. The open slot tend to allow tools to find the floor. The center area will have specific indentations to hold items I use at the lathe. If it works well when completed I will post a picture. If not marsh mellows may be an option. Jim
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
derekdarling
Gold Member

Post by derekdarling »

cincinnati wrote:Here is a photo of the magnetic tool rack I use for lathe tools.

[ATTACH]16571[/ATTACH]
I'd hate to be around the day magnetism stops working!:D
Derek Darling
Surrey, B.C. Canada
10ERs, other stuff, you know.
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

derekdarling wrote:I'd hate to be around the day magnetism stops working!:D

My magnetism quit many years ago. :rolleyes: :D

I do love speaker magnets stuck on a Shopsmith for the long Allen and the Jacobs chuck key. I have one on my old floor drill press in the farm shop too for the chuck key and a couple of center drills.

[ATTACH]16586[/ATTACH]

Attachments
SS magnetic holder.jpg
SS magnetic holder.jpg (111.54 KiB) Viewed 3226 times
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

I originally built the one in the third picture and am able to store many accessories under the chisels. The one difference was each tool goes through a hole at the top and sits in a hole on the bottom preventing anything from falling out. My big issue is I outgrew it before it was finished, many of my new Serious Toolworks tools and handles do not come close to fitting and every slot is full anyway. I am in the process of adding two foldout doors sections and two doors to give me more room for tools and to handle larger lathe tools. I did not draw in all the tool holders but they are all over.
[ATTACH]16626[/ATTACH]

I tried uploading a zipped version of the Sketchup file but it does not work and I have no idea why.
Attachments
Lathe Toolholder.png
Lathe Toolholder.png (93.45 KiB) Viewed 3163 times
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
pennview
Platinum Member

Post by pennview »

If anyone is interested in those magnetic strips for holding tools, Harbor Freight has 18" magnetic strips on sale Fri, Sat, and Sun for $4.00 at their retail stores.
Art in Western Pennsylvania
wannabewoodworker
Platinum Member

Post by wannabewoodworker »

pennview wrote:If anyone is interested in those magnetic strips for holding tools, Harbor Freight has 18" magnetic strips on sale Fri, Sat, and Sun for $4.00 at their retail stores.
Thank you sir for that heads up I guess I have to make a Harbor run and get some as I have been thinking of getting some of those recently.
Michael Mayo
Senior IT Support Engineer
Soft Designs Inc.
albiemanmike@gmail.com
1960's SS Mark VII, 1954 Greenie, 1983 Mark V, Jointer, Bandsaw, Jigsaw, Dewalt Slider, Delta Super 10, Delta 8" Grinder, Craftsman compressor, Drill Doctor, Kreg PH Jig, Bosch Jigsaw, Craftsman Router and Table...........and adding more all the time....:D
MikeG
Gold Member

Post by MikeG »

Here is a link for the plans for this one.
[ATTACH]16654[/ATTACH]
http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodworking-plans/lathe-and-turning/lathe-tool-holder/

I have not built one yet but am thinking about it.

Mike
Attachments
l_WD325424_WD325424.jpg
l_WD325424_WD325424.jpg (20.84 KiB) Viewed 3165 times
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

MikeG wrote:Here is a link for the plans for this one.
[ATTACH]16654[/ATTACH]
http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodworking-plans/lathe-and-turning/lathe-tool-holder/

I have not built one yet but am thinking about it.

Mike

If I only had two tools the same size that I used together, plus mounting it to a Shopsmith is at least challenging. My small tools have 6" handles and my largest a SERIOUS CAMLOCK HANDLE is 17.5", just visible in the bottom compartment of the top picture.
[ATTACH]16658[/ATTACH]
Phase one of my lathe tool holder, the rest will be completed this week and I will finally be able to store the rest of my lathe tools.

[ATTACH]16659[/ATTACH]
The Rockler tool/cup holder with Shopsmith adapter.
Attachments
IMG_0207.JPG
IMG_0207.JPG (86.42 KiB) Viewed 3153 times
IMG_0208.JPG
IMG_0208.JPG (153.57 KiB) Viewed 3126 times
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
pennview
Platinum Member

Post by pennview »

I use a simple tray with sides (like a shallow drawer) for holding the lathe tools while turning. There are two slats running across the tray on the underside, spaced to fit outside the way and bench tubes that keep the tray from sliding off of the Shopsmith while in use.

You can make it as wide as you like to hold your set of tools. It's similar to what Mike G mentioned, but designed to fit the Shopsmith. It doesn't have any dividers, but one could add them if desired.
Art in Western Pennsylvania