Greenie rebuild issues

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

ssmall
Gold Member

Re: Greenie rebuild issues

Post by ssmall »

Problem solved! :D I found the four screws that secure the motor were loose. When I tightened the four screws, I was able to manually open the drive sheaves. I now have a fully rebuilt and operational "hybrid Greenie". :D

Thank you for all your assistance, it is greatly appreiciated !!!

IMG_6949.JPG
IMG_6949.JPG (82.71 KiB) Viewed 1196 times
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Is it high spring tension, or, weak fingers pulling it out? Yes that is a very stiff spring.
Above posted before reading the last post above.
Not sure I understand WHY loose screws would cause binding unless that caused the floating sheave to get cocked on the shaft.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Like JPG, I can't explain why that was the problem but glad you were able to resolve it.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
ssmall
Gold Member

Post by ssmall »

The Greenie has been working well until today. While operating in the table saw configuration the motor bound up and tripped the circuit breaker.

Upon investigation, I found the motor drive belt was the culprit. Aparently it bound up in the drive sheeve enough to cause enough load on the motor to trip the circuit breaker.

The drive sheeve slides easily during manual activation. I'm at a loss why the drive belt bound up?

Do any of you have any simular experience and a fix for the problem?

Thank you in advance!
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Is the motor belt less than 1/2" wide at the top?

When set to "FAST"(max speed) where is the belt riding on the motor pulley?(how far in from the periphery)(od).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
ssmall
Gold Member

Post by ssmall »

Is the motor belt less than 1/2" wide at the top?

When set to "FAST"(max speed) where is the belt riding on the motor pulley?(how far in from the periphery)(od).
The motor (drive) belt looks to be seated at the inner portion of the sheeve when the binding occurs. (see photo)

Still working on adjusting the spped to fast. Currently the motor is bound up and unable to move. :confused:

Drive Sheeve.JPG
Drive Sheeve.JPG (66.67 KiB) Viewed 931 times
Idler Sheeve.JPG
Idler Sheeve.JPG (54.13 KiB) Viewed 931 times
Attachments
Speed setting.JPG
Speed setting.JPG (53.78 KiB) Viewed 931 times
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I was suspicious that the belt was jammed in the pulley.(caused by too narrow a belt or incorrect high speed limit )

Clearly it is not jammed. The belt appears close to new.

Did you say the floating sheave moves freely in/out on the motor shaft when moving the sheave by hand?

Is the 'motor' bound up or is it the pulley.

Something not obvious is going on here.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

ssmall
Gold Member

Post by ssmall »

I think the problem is in the speed control as it is very difficult to operate even eith the drive belt removed. :mad:
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

ssmall wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:02 am I think the problem is in the speed control as it is very difficult to operate even eith the drive belt removed. :mad:
If the speed control is stiff. Click this link, and download the file in the first post that starts "Bill Mayo - Mark V - Headstock Improvement ..."
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16113
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

AND is it still 'stiff' with the control sheave also disconnected from the porkchop?

However this does not explain tripped CB.

I think we have a moving target.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝