My ship came in

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

mbcabinetmaker
Platinum Member

Post by mbcabinetmaker »

Jamie welcome to the forum. You will enjoy your Shopsmith even if you do not use it for every operation. I look forward to seeing your pictures.

Mark

2017 Power Pro Mark 7
2002 50th anniversary model 520
and a few other woodworking tools.
jamiethesquid
Silver Member

Post by jamiethesquid »

Thanks Mark, I think I will be using the Mark 5 for more than I think. I look forward to the resto project also. Really great forum you guys have built here.
June of 1954, Mark 5, SN 271605
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

jamiethesquid wrote:Thanks Mark, I think I will be using the Mark 5 for more than I think. I look forward to the resto project also. Really great forum you guys have built here.

We are not the 'builders'! Merely participants.;) Welcome!

If you have not yet done so, check the top of this section(Maintenance and Repair).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jamiethesquid
Silver Member

Mystery solved

Post by jamiethesquid »

I applied a chemical stripper to the stand sheetmetal. Which is heavily rusted. I left the Peel Away stripper on over night, today I went to the basement and gently scraped a small area with a putty knife. More confusion. Under the Black was nothing but a rusty red primer. Hummph! I let it be and accomplished a few other items on my honey do list. Later I returned, to finish scraping the softened paint. As I scraped back the paint and reached the top and sides of the stand I came upon a light metallic green paint. Mystery solved. It is a greenie, that must have been painted in the past. Now the deliberations start. Do I paint it Rustoleum Verde green and silver. Or another less traditional color. I am a big fan of gloss black Rustoleum, with all of the raw Aluminum parts highly polished and re enameled red for the lettering.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

jamiethesquid wrote:I applied a chemical stripper to the stand sheetmetal. Which is heavily rusted. I left the Peel Away stripper on over night, today I went to the basement and gently scraped a small area with a putty knife. More confusion. Under the Black was nothing but a rusty red primer. Hummph! I let it be and accomplished a few other items on my honey do list. Later I returned, to finish scraping the softened paint. As I scraped back the paint and reached the top and sides of the stand I came upon a light metallic green paint. Mystery solved. It is a greenie, that must have been painted in the past. Now the deliberations start. Do I paint it Rustoleum Verde green and silver. Or another less traditional color. I am a big fan of gloss black Rustoleum, with all of the raw Aluminum parts highly polished and re enameled red for the lettering.

That be your choice. Sounds pretty good!

Ever owned a black car? Only look clean immediately after washing!;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
fiatben
Platinum Member

Go for it, Jamie

Post by fiatben »

JPG gives me grief about my blue/yellow paint scheme, but he was also the first forum member to really reach out, help a newbie and make me feel welcome.

Like others have said, take lots of pictures. We love to watch someone else bring one back to life, and we all learn in the process. Plus, when you run into something that the manuals and videos just don't make clear, a picture is worth a thousand words and will get a hundred replies (well, it will get you answers anyway.)

Take pics, start a thread on your journey, and share. That's a big part of what this forum is all about.
'55 Greenie #292284 (Mar-55), '89 SS 510 #020989, Mark VII #408551 (sold 10/14/12), SS Band Saw, (SS 500 #36063 (May-79) now gone to son-in-law as of 11-11), Magna bandsaw, Magna jointer 16185 (May-54), Magna belt sander SS28712 (Dec-82), Magna jigsaw SS4397 (Dec-78), SS biscuit joiner, Zyliss (knockoff) vise, 20+ hand planes, 60s Craftsman tablesaw, CarbaTec mini-lathe, and the usual pile of tools. Hermit of the Hills Woodworks, a hillbilly in the foothills of the Ozarks, scraping by.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

fiatben wrote:JPG gives me grief about my blue/yellow paint scheme, but he was also the first forum member to really reach out, help a newbie and make me feel welcome.

Like others have said, take lots of pictures. We love to watch someone else bring one back to life, and we all learn in the process. Plus, when you run into something that the manuals and videos just don't make clear, a picture is worth a thousand words and will get a hundred replies (well, it will get you answers anyway.)

Take pics, start a thread on your journey, and share. That's a big part of what this forum is all about.
Hey! There is nothing wrong with uniqueness!!!!! Actually I kinda like the blue/yellow!

Now when yer 'unique' ya gotta be prepared to be 'teased'!:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

jamiethesquid
Silver Member

New thread coming.

Post by jamiethesquid »

Thanks for all the encouragement. My plan for tomorrow is to break out the digital SLR and take numerous "before" pictures. I will start a new thread. I welcome any and all comments and suggestions. I am a bit of a forum junkie these days. Take care. Jamie
fiatben
Platinum Member

Actually,

Post by fiatben »

JPG40504 wrote:Hey! There is nothing wrong with uniqueness!!!!! Actually I kinda like the blue/yellow!

Now when yer 'unique' ya gotta be prepared to be 'teased'!:D

I think I would have been disappointed if no one really noticed!

However, I'm leaving the "new" 510 in it's original gray tones.
'55 Greenie #292284 (Mar-55), '89 SS 510 #020989, Mark VII #408551 (sold 10/14/12), SS Band Saw, (SS 500 #36063 (May-79) now gone to son-in-law as of 11-11), Magna bandsaw, Magna jointer 16185 (May-54), Magna belt sander SS28712 (Dec-82), Magna jigsaw SS4397 (Dec-78), SS biscuit joiner, Zyliss (knockoff) vise, 20+ hand planes, 60s Craftsman tablesaw, CarbaTec mini-lathe, and the usual pile of tools. Hermit of the Hills Woodworks, a hillbilly in the foothills of the Ozarks, scraping by.
knottythumbs
Silver Member

Post by knottythumbs »

Please detail materials used to clean up the way tubes so nice. I assume you used a wax when finished?
Knottythumbs