First 510 output was this Bowfront

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

nuhobby
Platinum Member

First 510 output was this Bowfront

Post by nuhobby »

Hello,

I've enjoyed the new Bowfront topic on the Sawdust sessions.

I got my 510 a little over one year ago and just dove into making a free-form computer desk for the first 6 weeks. I wanted a bow-front and I did it with straight segments cut with the table saw at various appropriate angles. At the time I had no bandsaw or jointer.

My apron&top arrangement is a little unconventional (legs are inset to the top, aprons are mere non-structural decorations); I don't think it will pull apart but next time I would do it differently. Come to think of it, the same comment goes for everything I've ever done....

The top graphic is not inlaid. It is dark Paint to cover up a glazing disaster I had(!).

Best Regards,
Attachments
Segmented Bowfront.jpg
Segmented Bowfront.jpg (45.33 KiB) Viewed 8228 times
Revolving Drawer.jpg
Revolving Drawer.jpg (45.49 KiB) Viewed 8216 times
Chris
scottss
Gold Member

Post by scottss »

Nice work nuhobby. It seems everytime I build something if I make a second one I find different ways to complete it. Did you use mortise and tenons for the aprons to the legs? Just curious cause I have been making alot of them lately and like to see how others are doing them.
romartin
Bronze Member

Post by romartin »

well for a mistake, the top is pretty sharp. Nice to see people building rather than just purchasing. nice job, and we always seem to find better methods/ways after the fact..
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

I like your table Chris! Very nice clean look. Your bow front adds to the sharpness of the piece. In particular, I noticed the clean look of the legs and stretchers. The legs are slightly tapered aren't they?

Happy to see your work. I share romartin's thought of it's nice to see items that are made with these tools. Thanks for your post.:)
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

Hi Fellows,

Thanks for the kind words.

Scottss, this was my earliest use of a mortise and tenon. I just used what I had at the time -- drill-press mode for hogging out mortises, and bench chisel to clean them. Likewise repetitive table-saw cuts for the tenons. Since then I've acquired the mortising-set and tenoning-jig, but I've not yet put them to use.

Charlese, actually those legs are straight. But once I was visualizing the desk then I decided to add the inner "cove" pieces to each leg, which were cut on the table-saw with repetitive cuts against a stop.

I've also been following the Router discussions. At this time I'm still using the SS Shaper attachment for jobs such as this desk-edge. One day hopefully I'll get myself a high-rpm router. One thing at a time, but absolutely no complaints on the Mark V!

Best Regards,
Chris
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

You guys keep it up. My motivation is growing rapidly as a result of seeing all these fine furniture productions.

I've never had the nerve to tackle real furniture but I'm getting there.

Most of what I've built has been for the kids - they are much less critical.;)
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.