Here's why....

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

judaspre1982
Platinum Member

Post by judaspre1982 »

============================
Last edited by judaspre1982 on Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cincinnati
Platinum Member

Post by cincinnati »

Talk about service. I had a question about the local big box hardware store. I sent off an e-mail to the corporate office. I used what I call my "Junk E-mail" address. My name is not attached to that account. My address no way gives my name etc... I just use that account so I don't get spam contacting a company. Next day my phone rang at home. It was the store manager of the local store. :eek: Still have not figured that one out.
"Prove to all the world Metal rules the land"
-Judas Priest, Heavy Duty.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

cincinnati wrote:Talk about service. I had a question about the local big box hardware store. I sent off an e-mail to the corporate office. I used what I call my "Junk E-mail" address. My name is not attached to that account. My address no way gives my name etc... I just use that account so I don't get spam contacting a company. Next day my phone rang at home. It was the store manager of the local store. :eek: Still have not figured that one out.
Think 'Cookies'!;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

Culprit wrote:Paul,

I'm sure there are a few of us on here who would like to see some pictures and a quick write up of those two projects if you have time. Especially what design changes could save that much money. A little best practices sharing, if you will.

My shop is in one car bay of a three car garage, there was a 2/3 wall separating the third car bay. I needed to close in the space in and avoid the two garage doors so that I could heat and cool the space without losing the conditioning whenever the main door was opened. My original design was a complex tunnel, that allowed for a normal insulated door, the person at HD suggested a sliding door and some weather striping and getting rid of the tunnel. As part of this project I also replaced my garage door opener with an Internet based one. The old track is being used to build a trolley with electric winch to move my Shopsmith SPT's around the shop, since I can't lift the bandsaw with Kreg Fence any longer without help. I hope to finish it tomorrow and will post additional pictures.
[ATTACH]16943[/ATTACH]
The interior I did was at Art on Broadway, my wifes gallery and pictures can be found at www.artonbroadway.net. The building is over 100 years old and was just a shell when we got it. I did all the interior construction and lighting, its not quite done but the gallery is open, now I can only work on it the last Sunday and Monday of the month.
Attachments
IMG_0227.JPG
IMG_0227.JPG (81.63 KiB) Viewed 857 times
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
flashbacpt
Gold Member

Here's Why

Post by flashbacpt »

Culprit brought a smile to my face... His comparison of the Male Know it Alls, to the females hit the nail on the head!

Over the years, I have taught Fly Fishing to newbies. I have learned, over and over again, that teaching females to fly cast is a whole lot easier than trying to teach guys to cast, especially former spin fishermen!

The guys think casting is all about muscle, and force when it is the complete opposite when it comes to casting a fly. With an open mind, females achieve success faster.

Yeah, I know....this has nothing to do with woodworking........or does it?:D

John
FlashbacPT
Culprit
Gold Member

Post by Culprit »

Paul, nice job on both projects! I bet enclosing the shop portion of the garage also reduces the amount of dust that can settle on the cars and make its way into the house.
Culprit
Gold Member

Post by Culprit »

flashbacpt wrote:especially former spin fishermen!
And that's exactly why I'm not a "former" spin fisherman - I still am and probably always will be (except for when I'm using a baitcaster). My brother tried to teach me the fly thing, but it just never stuck. I'm much happier throwing spoons and senko's all day.
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

Culprit wrote:Paul, nice job on both projects! I bet enclosing the shop portion of the garage also reduces the amount of dust that can settle on the cars and make its way into the house.

I had a 2/3 wall and a jumbo dust collector and air cleaner so dust on the cars was not a big issue. But now I can be in the shop every day of the year, with insulation, heating and air conditioning and I gained a lot of wall space. I still need to insulate the garage door using some new high-tech foil that Ace Hardware is selling. The other benefit is the dehumidifier built into the air conditioner/heater that dries out the shop and prevents rust, the first day I ran it I got a gallon of water out of the air but since then I get very little and in Portland that is saying something.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
dan1999
Gold Member

Big Box

Post by dan1999 »

What annoys me the most is when I go into my HD to get something and end up having to teach the idiots running the vertical panel saw how to run the machine, or have to explain to the paint people that I am looking for a finishing product other than Minwax and then the blank look on their faces and I know they want to scratch their head. Or the tool people when you ask for compressor parts and anything related to spraying, they have no clue and again I end up teaching them stuff about spray. I really must be a dumbass for asking questions to these people.
Mark V 520,Mark V 510(2),Mark V 500(2) Dust Collector(2), Jointer(2), bandsaw(2), jigsaw, beltsander, biscuit joiner(2) Lathe Duplicator, RingMaster, Pro planer
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

dan1999 wrote:What annoys me the most is when I go into my HD to get something and end up having to teach the idiots running the vertical panel saw how to run the machine, or have to explain to the paint people that I am looking for a finishing product other than Minwax and then the blank look on their faces and I know they want to scratch their head. Or the tool people when you ask for compressor parts and anything related to spraying, they have no clue and again I end up teaching them stuff about spray. I really must be a dumbass for asking questions to these people.
I don't know but if you are a dumbass it is for returning to shop in a store that you dislike.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.