Exciting News From Your Friends At Shopsmith

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

emcee wrote:You smart-alecs should instead of boasting, be rather thankful that you have the financial resources to either upgrade or buy the new machine. I do not.

Oh, so now under your rules, I cannot even speak about something that I do not like!! Are you a communist? That's exactly why we have a republic, friend, so I can voice my opinion about excess prices, traitorous presidents, and yes, I won't buy one----because like I have told you already, they are too expensive, unless a larger trade-in amount is offered. You are reading into my words things that I did not say.
I don't know just who you are referring to but I certainly did not call you or do I consider you to be a communist. As far as what you want to speak of - have at it. There is no one on this forum that does not believe you have a right to your opinions even when they do not agree with others. This forum consists of a very large number of members who DO NOT share common opinions on many, many subjects.

If you feel that any one of us has done or said the things you are implying, please call us out by name.

AND, let me be blunt. It seems to me that because you do not feel that you can afford an upgrade you are carrying a chip on your shoulder for those who have upgraded.

What you probably don't realize is that more than one or two of those who have upgrades also have debt as a direct result of it. They did not all fork out cash.

BTW - FYI and FWIW - I do not have an upgraded unit. My shop equipment was purchased many years ago at much lower prices.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
emcee
Silver Member

Mark 7

Post by emcee »

dusty wrote:....There should be no complaint. It is a personal decision....

I have no chip on my shoulder, but it sounds like you may have one for me. My original post was directed to one person, and expressed my personal opinion on the cost of the upgrades. Some of you immediately attacked my opinion as though it were invalid, which is your right]Inflated!!! If you want to see inflated prices order yourself a Festool catalog. The tools are fantastic but the prices are out of this world. ...[/quote]

I have no interest in Festool whatsoever. Zip, zero, zilch nada.

Algale, I never said that there was shame in development of the Mark 7. I said the upgrade price was a shame. Notice that I said, "They MAY no longer offer it." Big difference in what you were saying that I said. So as for your old-as-the-hills joke, yes, I went to the restaurant and looked at the menu. And the price of the meals was too high---so what?? It is something that many people do: check out the prices before buying a meal that one may not be able to afford. Nothing wrong with that. Also nothing wrong with discovering that 6-oz steak was not enough steak for the price!
JPG40504 wrote:....FWIW Like your freedom to expouse on any opinion you might have, Shopsmith has an equivalent freedom to set their pricing where they think it best suits their interest. You can indeed vote by not purchasing, but not having the $ to do so is not a valid reason for condemning them. I would like to own a $50,000 automobile, but alas my pocketbook is inadequate, but I do not think I have any reason to bash the manufacturer.....PAX!

I did not condemn anyone or anything. Nor did I at anytime say that Shopsmith did not have the right to set their prices. I merely said that the price was too high for the upgrades. Again, you are reading into what I said. Irrelevance? If my thoughts are irrelevant, why are even mentioning them?

Okay so you do not have a reason to bash the manufacturer of an automobile company---good for you.......but this has nothing to do with what I said.
Mark

Veritas Vos Liberabit
John 8:31, 32
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

When making my original comment I came very close to ignoring the individual who I felt expressed dismay and anger toward others on the forum. My comments were made solely to express a different opinion. I intended no malice then or now. As I read the latest attack I was reminded of a gentleman I knew some years ago who was hard pressed to earn a sufficient living yet who somehow managed to purchase a new Cadillac. I felt good for him to find a way to drive the set of wheels he coveted. I on the other hand drove an older model ford and owed money on it. My point being that we each are allowed to make the choices we find appropriate. Many of us forgo some things in life in favor of others. Attacking or demeaning others for their choices I personally find offensive. Those making such remarks I feel sorry for and pray that one day they will be able to grow beyond their current frame of reference. Jim
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
emcee
Silver Member

Mark 7

Post by emcee »

Thank you very much. I appreciate it.:)
Mark

Veritas Vos Liberabit
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

[quote="emcee"]I have no chip on my shoulder, but it sounds like you may have one for me. My original post was directed to one person, and expressed my personal opinion on the cost of the upgrades. Some of you immediately attacked my opinion as though it were invalid, which is your right]

Mark: As this post continues to grow, it appears to me that some of us maybe do not totally understand exactly what you are trying to say and maybe we have become too combative.

I am going to withdraw from this debate over Shopsmith pricing. I would, however, ask that you go back with open mind and reread my comments in context with yours.

Again, Welcome to the forum. It is my opinion that this forum is one of the better and is certainly the best place to come with questions about the Shopsmith equipment, how to use it and how to maintain it.

We, here, jointly offer a few centuries of Shopsmith experience and are all willing and anxious to share that experience.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
bobw1953
Gold Member

Emcee

Post by bobw1953 »

Amen Dusty!
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

bobw1953 wrote:Amen Dusty!
I'm impressed! You read this thread all the way down to Dusty's last post in spite of all the 'opinion'.

BTW What is it with Kansas and propellers?:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
emcee
Silver Member

Mark 7

Post by emcee »

I have not been on this forum for more nearly two months, and since it has been nearly two months since I first offered my opinion, I was somewhat surprised to receive an email telling me about new posts to this thread.

Dusty, I know that you said you were unsubscribing from this thread, but I figure you will likely hear about this from one of your many friends on this forum anyway. I did do as you asked, and yes, you still misunderstood my original comments. Notice, please, that I never said that prices for a used Mark V hit the floor; what I did say is that the value hit the floor; there is quite a big difference between the two. For example, I am merely a middle class person, having worked blue collar jobs all my life. I am not broke, but I am not rich either. Were someone to offer to sell me a used Mark V for the approximate original price, and the difference between the price of such used Mark V and a new Mark 7 was about $300.00, I would definitely NOT buy the Mark V, but buy the Mark 7, instead. I believe that most people would do the same. Now this is merely my opinion, and that's all it is. Those other guys did not like my opinion, that is their problem.
Mark

Veritas Vos Liberabit
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

emcee wrote:I have not been on this forum for more nearly two months, and since it has been nearly two months since I first offered my opinion, I was somewhat surprised to receive an email telling me about new posts to this thread.

Dusty, I know that you said you were unsubscribing from this thread, but I figure you will likely hear about this from one of your many friends on this forum anyway. I did do as you asked, and yes, you still misunderstood my original comments. Notice, please, that I never said that prices for a used Mark V hit the floor]value[/B] hit the floor; there is quite a big difference between the two. For example, I am merely a middle class person, having worked blue collar jobs all my life. I am not broke, but I am not rich either. Were someone to offer to sell me a used Mark V for the approximate original price, and the difference between the price of such used Mark V and a new Mark 7 was about $300.00, I would definitely NOT buy the Mark V, but buy the Mark 7, instead. I believe that most people would do the same. Now this is merely my opinion, and that's all it is. Those other guys did not like my opinion, that is their problem.

Having an 'opinion' is not a 'problem'.

Thinking an opinion is gospel is a problem.

An opinion based upon mis-information or ignorance is a problem.

An opinion expressed with 'attitude' is a possible problem.

One upon hearing another's opinion then getting bent out of shape is a problem.

Not meaning to imply any of this fits anyone on this forum, but tis food for thought!

BTW I agree almost ALL SS stuff is pricey.

IMHO the PP upgrade options are less so!

The new double tilt upgrade price is really exorbitant!

We need to realize that RLF is a small entity that struggles to stay around. Those struggles are compounded by the extent to which they support pre-existing machines. RLF is the fifth(four') corporate entity producing SS stuff and essentially supports all but the 'original' which differed greatly from current genre.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
brad_nalor
Gold Member

Post by brad_nalor »

Interesting read. We're here, their there and somehow we all come together with a shared interest of and about Shopsmith. I'm grateful the company still has a phone line and surviving.

About pricing. Have others thought how difficult it must be today offering products for such low volume? I could imagine just a few thousand produced of a single line item is expensive, hoping they sell and don't have it stuck on a shelf for long. No sense being in biz if you can't make a little profit. Carry-on...