PowerPro Belt Tension

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

cdmclain
Gold Member

PowerPro Belt Tension

Post by cdmclain »

After a completed PowerPro DIY installation and belt adjustment per the video and manual, what should the belt tension be like? How far should you be able to push in the belts?

Carry
cdmclain
North Texas

PowerPro Mark 7 & Mark 5 510, Bandsaw/PowerStation, Scrollsaw, Jointer, Pro Planer, Beltsander/PowerStation, Strip Sander, Ringmaster, DC3300
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

cdmclain wrote:After a completed PowerPro DIY installation and belt adjustment per the video and manual, what should the belt tension be like? How far should you be able to push in the belts?

Carry
IMHO the tighter the better(based upon others experience described here).

Do the instructions not tell how to 'set' it?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
cdmclain
Gold Member

Post by cdmclain »

JPG40504,
There are pretty clear instructions on how to set and adjust both the belts tension. It consists of running the motor at different speeds and listening for smoothness of operation and bearing noise and adjusting accordingly for smooth operation. After completing the set up and minor adjustment, I was pushing in on the belts to feel the tension. Although it is stated in the manual that the lower belt will "feel" looser than the upper belt due to the greater length. I can push in on the lower belt about 1/2" which seems too much or maybe not.

Carry
cdmclain
North Texas

PowerPro Mark 7 & Mark 5 510, Bandsaw/PowerStation, Scrollsaw, Jointer, Pro Planer, Beltsander/PowerStation, Strip Sander, Ringmaster, DC3300
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

cdmclain wrote:JPG40504,
There are pretty clear instructions on how to set and adjust both the belts tension. It consists of running the motor at different speeds and listening for smoothness of operation and bearing noise and adjusting accordingly for smooth operation. After completing the set up and minor adjustment, I was pushing in on the belts to feel the tension. Although it is stated in the manual that the lower belt will "feel" looser than the upper belt due to the greater length. I can push in on the lower belt about 1/2" which seems too much or maybe not.

Carry
If you are comfortable with accepting the 'audible' method, do not give deflection a second(or first) thought.

Since there have been 'issues' with backlash, I assumed very tight is good.(the pp both powers and brakes)

Bearing wear/stress is a detail I was ignoring.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
fixit
Gold Member

Post by fixit »

When at a Lowe's demo in San Antonio I asked Dave Folkerth this question. He said ...approximately 1/8".

My PP adjusted per the instructions from the DIY kit has about 1/2" belt deflection. I plan to "correct" this in the near future although I have had no issues with it the way it is now. I'm in the middle of a complete shop reorganization so it may be a while before this comes to the top of the list.

I have wondered since being at the demo if this is the same "Dave" from Customer Service we have discussed here on the forum. I did not ask that question.
----------------------------------------
Leonard
La Vernia, TX
Wood Goods - Custom Woodwork
EMAIL: woodgoods "at" lavernia "dot" net
PowerPro 520, PowerPro 500 (was my father's 500), SS jointer, SS Mark V mount planer, SS bandsaws (2), belt sander, scroll saw, SS jig saws (2), strip sander, Jointech system, 12" Delta Compound Miter Saw, a small collection of routers, a router table and a Delta Unisaw. All in a 24' x 24' shop.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

fixit wrote:When at a Lowe's demo in San Antonio I asked Dave Folkerth this question. He said ...approximately 1/8".

My PP adjusted per the instructions from the DIY kit has about 1/2" belt deflection. I plan to "correct" this in the near future although I have had no issues with it the way it is now. I'm in the middle of a complete shop reorganization so it may be a while before this comes to the top of the list.

I have wondered since being at the demo if this is the same "Dave" from Customer Service we have discussed here on the forum. I did not ask that question.
I never thought about that. It couldn't be!....could it?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:I never thought about that. It couldn't be!....could it?
I SAH hope not and also hope CS Dave is NOT in the line of succession.:eek:

That would explain their tolerance of him!:rolleyes:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Over time, I have found that tighter tension works best for me. Yes, the tensions between the upper and lower belt should (must) be equalized by rotating the eccentric.

Although not an expert at the amount of belt deflection, mine runs best at around 1/8" or so on the lower belt and somewhat less on the upper. It depends on how hard you push on the belt. 1/2" sounds excessive to me.

Also, with the higher tension, the over-revving issue I had at low speeds has gone away. The higher tension n the lower belt slowed down any over-revving.

I eventually had to adjust the screws to the motor mounts to achieve what I am guessing to the best for my machine. Without lowering the motor, the eccentric would not equalize the belt tightness. The eccentric had to rotate more than a quarter turn. Perhaps the belts have stretched a little over the year and a half (almost a thousand hours of run time). Also, it could have been the banging I witnessed while bandsawing loosened the motor adjustment screws to allow the lower belt to pull the motor upward.

I assume equalized pulling (upward and down) on the lower axillary spindle's bearings is best for longer wear.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

fixit wrote:When at a Lowe's demo in San Antonio I asked Dave Folkerth this question. He said ...approximately 1/8".

The Dave in CS is a recent hire and my experience with him has greatly improved in the past year. He is learning and seems to be more available and able to any my questions recently.

Dave Folkerth Is Robert's brother(CEO) and was not working with Shopsmith for a few years until he started during the traveling demos. Dave Folkerth worked with me getting Shopsmith parts years ago. A great person to deal with and still remembered me when we met in Jan. locally for his demo.
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
cdmclain
Gold Member

Post by cdmclain »

Thanks for all the advise. I am going to increase the tension on the lower belt and run through the adjustment again. I will let everyone know the outcome.
cdmclain
North Texas