This Will Break Your Heart

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

algale
Platinum Member

This Will Break Your Heart

Post by algale »

Here's the guy who won the Shopsmith Mark 7 from Hartville tool, and he's not sure whether he wants it.

http://lumberjocks.com/topics/39823
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

algale wrote:Here's the guy who won the Shopsmith Mark 7 from Hartville tool, and he's not sure whether he wants it.

http://lumberjocks.com/topics/39823
I should be so lucky but if I was I'd have to give up one of these that I have. I don't think I could do that either.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

dusty wrote:I should be so lucky but if I was I'd have to give up one of these that I have. I don't think I could do that either.
In theory, I like the increased speed range and power that the PowerPro offers. But I think I would miss the tactile feel of manually cranking that speed control up and down. There's a really satisfying feel to it -- especially since I implemented Bill Mayo's porkchop fix. Ok, so I'm weird.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Who from here is gong to invite him to join us here at the forums? Perhaps not for the best to overwhelm him at this point.

Ed
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Hmmmmm. 36% bracket!

IF I were in that bracket, 2k would be a no brainer!;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
anmius
Gold Member

Post by anmius »

It's too bad that one poster on the Lumberjocks link doesn't know the difference between a Mark VII and a Mark 7 and badmouths the Shopsmith. It is amazing how people who don't know what they are talking about become experts!
________________________________________________________________________________________________
1981 Mark V 500, bandsaw, belt sander, jig saw, jointer; contractor's table saw; multiple circular saws and miter saws; and a trailer full of tools.

"It is better to remain silent and thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"
Abraham Lincoln
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

anmius wrote:It's too bad that one poster on the Lumberjocks link doesn't know the difference between a Mark VII and a Mark 7 and badmouths the Shopsmith. It is amazing how people who don't know what they are talking about become experts!

Shipwright is doing his best to enlighten them!:cool:

Now do not be to hard on those who do not know the 'difference'. There are a lot of folks on e-bay etc.(and here!!!) that confuse the terminology(Mark 5/Mark V...Mark VII/Mark 7). FGS, Magna American even got confused!!!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
wiredone
Gold Member

Post by wiredone »

algale wrote:In theory, I like the increased speed range and power that the PowerPro offers. But I think I would miss the tactile feel of manually cranking that speed control up and down. There's a really satisfying feel to it -- especially since I implemented Bill Mayo's porkchop fix. Ok, so I'm weird.
I'm with you 100% Al.
I'll never own a PowerPro because I am very happy with the ShopSmith powerplant as is. It's the difference between the Stick Shift in my truck and an auto trans. I am happy as a tick shifting gears and feel much less in control when I'm driving an auto trans.
BESIDES all that, I can rebuild my 5 speed if I need to.
www.wirewerkes.com
Hiding in a Joshua Tree.
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Doesn't break my heart. I understand where he is coming from.

About 30 years ago either my wife or I won something. We were called to pick it up at a certain time. What we found out is the supplier of the gift wanted to use us in his commercial as proud owners of his product we won.

I refused to go on record and say I loved his product since I never used it and knew nothing about it. He got more than a little nasty. We did the required camera shoots and taped a few spots and then were given our prize. What a piece of junk! Then I got the 1099, man was I happy. The claimed value of my prize or my income on the 1099 was approximately twice the normal market value of the product and I wouldn't have bought the thing for half that price.

I couldn't give the thing away and selling it was not going to happen. I never thought of donating it, didn't want to saddle them with having to deal with it.

Also for the next couple of months we saw our pictures in his ads first telling how great of guy he was to make the prize avail and then later as proud owners of his junk. Talk about being exploited.

After that I don't sign up for prizes and if I won one I would be real careful about what is what before I went to claim it.
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
swampgator
Platinum Member

Post by swampgator »

Well, if the winner doesn't want this splendid tool, I'll happily pay him the shipping if the original box plus some more. And, to pay for it, I would part out one of my machines to help me pay for it. Will be so happy to relieve him of his problem. :D :D :D
Steve, the old Florida gator

I just love it when she says I can go make sawdust. ;) :D