Very exciting morning

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

charlese
Platinum Member

Very exciting morning

Post by charlese »

This morning, we got to see a very close flyover of the Space Shuttle Endeavor, mounted on the back of a 747. We drove a couple of miles South and parked the car on Avenue "M", just at the north edge of what is called Plant 42.

The 747 did a loop over plant 42 - the place where all space shuttles were born - and flew down the main runway as if it was going to land. So we got a first hand view at a horizontal distance of 800 feet and an altitude of about 250 ft. What a sight!!!!

From our vantage, we spot spot the 747 and shuttle shortly after takeoff from Edwards AFB - distance of 15 miles. At that time it was not more than a white spot in the sky. Followed it through the clear skies and it made a B-line for plant 42 for it's first flyover.

Plant 42 is also the home of the Skunk Works!

The shuttle will eventually be displayed at the Los Angeles Science Center.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
fredsheldon
Platinum Member

Post by fredsheldon »

Wow, did you get a photo?
Fred Sheldon
The Woodlands, Tx
'52 10ER # 60869 (restored in 2012, used as a dedicated drill press), '52 10ER # 88712 (restored 01/2013), 52 10ER # 71368 (in process of restoring), '83 500 Shorty with OPR installed, '83 520 PowerPro with Lift Assist, 6" Joiner, 6" Belt Sander, 18" Jig Saw, 11" Band Saw, 12" ProPlaner, SS Crosscut Table. SS Dust Collector, Hitachi 1/2" router, Work Sharp 3000 with all attachement, Nova G3 Chuck, Universal Tool Rest, Appalachia Tool Works Sled.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

fredsheldon wrote:Wow, did you get a photo?
No, Sorry! Didn't even take a camera. Just enveloped ourselves in the moment!
Knew there would be hundreds of photos and videos available via computer. Here is a photo taken by A.P. that closely resembles what we saw.
[ATTACH]18543[/ATTACH]
Attachments
7281117.jpg
7281117.jpg (106.7 KiB) Viewed 1694 times
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
shipwright
Platinum Member

Post by shipwright »

Great photo Chuck.

Is that one of those camouflaged unmanned drones in sinister black following low?
Paul M ........ The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese
joedw00
Platinum Member

Post by joedw00 »

Before I retired they were shuttling the craft back to Florida, and did a drop in at Boeing because the 747 was having landing gear trouble. We got a real close look at it while it was here for about 5 hours. Of course we could not take any pictures, but at least we got to get close to it.
Joe

520, Bandsaw, Beltsander, Delta Drill Press, Delta Lathe, Craftsman Planner/Jointer, Delta Planner, Mini "Greenie" Shorty 500

Being a VETERAN is an honor
Being a GRANDPA is priceless
2bits
Gold Member

Post by 2bits »

I got a phone call yesterday about it flying over Tucson. I was on my way to a good vantage point when it showed up 15 minutes earlier than expected. I just pulled way over off of the freeway and watched. No camera:(
While it was very exciting to see it was also kinda of sad. The final page in a chapter of our history. I just hope they can start a new chapter within my life time.
swampgator
Platinum Member

Post by swampgator »

In 1978, our daughter was about 3 years old. For some reason, they decided to land at Hurlburt Field near Mary Esther, FL. We drove there, showed it to our daughter who no longer remembers it. But, we have slides of it sitting on the tarmac. The posted AP pic is very much what I remember from those days.
:)
Steve, the old Florida gator

I just love it when she says I can go make sawdust. ;) :D
moggymatt
Platinum Member

Post by moggymatt »

I was stationed at Eglin in the early 80's as a heavy equipment operator, one of the times it stopped for the night, I was on flightline sweeper duty and got very close. At the time it was VERY well guarded.
Paul B
lightnin
Platinum Member

Post by lightnin »

I went to the museum at Wright Patterson AFB...
I stood right there and touched an Apollo command module
I just felt a WOW!
Bruce

I didn't know what a Shopsmith was...
Three days later I owned one...
One week later I was rebuilding one...
Four months later I owned two....
Ok Ok, I'm up to four now...
lightnin
Platinum Member

Post by lightnin »

Apollo