Finally, I now own a ShopSmith

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

pieceseeker
Gold Member

Finally, I now own a ShopSmith

Post by pieceseeker »

Hey all, this is my new to me ShopSmith :)

[ATTACH]20626[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]20627[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]20628[/ATTACH]

Serial #147061

Several shaper cutters and spacers missed the photo shoot.:(

I thought this was a deal I couldn't pass up. My main objective was to acquire the most bang for the buck and I had not seen this many SPT's for this price since looking on CL.
The price was listed at $1250.00, I offered $900 and he accepted. Made me wonder if I could have offered less. :D
I did have to drive about 300 miles or so to Florida to pick up, but I think it was worth it.

The pics kind of hide the rust. It's not horrible, but most surfaces have some amount of rust.

I'm sure I'll need to go through all the SPT's and headstock to bring things up to par. Headstock works, but no idea on maintenance done.

So, my question is, how do you all think I did???

My next objective is to purchase a new Mark 7 machine and then sell this base machine quick.....well hopefully quick and real cheap ( I suppose the cheaper the quicker huh?):D

Just don't have room for 2 machines.

A SS demo is in my area in 2 weeks:)

What do you all think about this plan?

Wondering if I should use this machine for a couple years to get acclimated to the ShopSmith way before diving headlong into the ultimate setup.

Maybe by then, will also have a better idea about the durability of the new PP after a few units will have some years under their belts.

Of course by then, prices will undoubtedly be higher, but maybe not that much higher.
Attachments
New ShopSmith 1.jpg
New ShopSmith 1.jpg (125.41 KiB) Viewed 3285 times
New ShopSmith 2.jpg
New ShopSmith 2.jpg (146.56 KiB) Viewed 3280 times
New ShopSmith 3.jpg
New ShopSmith 3.jpg (116.08 KiB) Viewed 3283 times
" I cut it twice and it's still too short"

2006 Mark 520, 1983 Mark V model 500(soon to be a shorty)/Power Stand mounted Planer/Jointer/Belt Sander/Band Saw/Jigsaw on pwr stand/Scroll saw/Strip Sander/Power Station/Speed Reducer/Increaser/2 Nova chucks.... 12" DeWalt sliding compound mitre saw, 10" Delta tabletop saw, Bosch router and jig saw, Makita circular saw, Graco V-COMP HVLP, Festool CT-26 E Hepa
idcook
Gold Member

Post by idcook »

’lo seeker…

I’m a newbie here myself, but looks to me like you got a great deal.
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

Nice score! I've been pricing SPT's on eBay and Craigslist for the last year, and buying when bargains pop up. Based on all that research, I'd say that you got a good deal on the SPT's, and the Model 500 was thrown in for free! :)
letterk
Gold Member

Post by letterk »

I'd say you did pretty good. The planner and the belt sander always seem to go for quite a bit. Trying to catch a good deal on either of them is pretty hard. Looks like you got a nice supply of accessories including a shaper fence.
donalexander
Gold Member

Post by donalexander »

I'd say you did very well. In my opinion, the bandsaw and the jointer are the two most useful SPT to have and you have them both. The planner is really handy if you buy rough sawn lumber...and for a few other things, too. From the looks of the photos, you got a very good to an excellent deal.

As for the rust, look around for some Evaporust and start dealing with it there. From the looks of things, you'll be able to restore everything with ease. Learn how to do maintenance on your machine (mostly oil and wax) and learn to set your tools up to cut square and straight.

Lastly, make as much sawdust as you can. You've got the tools to a whole lot.
Don

Mark V (bought new, now sold), Model 520 (1989 510 upgraded)
Bandsaw, Jointer, and Planer
1951 Magna Engineering 10ER (restored for lathe use and sold)
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Lot of bang for the buck here! I'd say you did really well.

Ed
eagleta2
Gold Member

Post by eagleta2 »

Ditto... I think you got an extraordinary deal for $900...

Well worth what you paid... now enjoy, make some sawdust, and post pics of whatever you make!

Congrats

Geo
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

You done good!:)

Not sure you would get good value for the '500' if you do decide to sell it.

If yer serious about acquiring a M7 do consider keeping this one as if nothing else, a dedicated drill press or spt prime mover/storer.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
pieceseeker
Gold Member

Post by pieceseeker »

Thanks all, I was very pleased with the "find". I just will not have the room for a spare machine as I will be working out of a postage stamp shop.

It's a screened in porch at this point, soon to be windowed to keep the extra natural light.

At only 121 sqft, I'll mount SPT's on one wall for storage, air filtration will go on the ceiling, and dust collection will be mounted external out of one of the window openings.

Will definitely need an under machine cabinet mounted on the support tubes.
" I cut it twice and it's still too short"

2006 Mark 520, 1983 Mark V model 500(soon to be a shorty)/Power Stand mounted Planer/Jointer/Belt Sander/Band Saw/Jigsaw on pwr stand/Scroll saw/Strip Sander/Power Station/Speed Reducer/Increaser/2 Nova chucks.... 12" DeWalt sliding compound mitre saw, 10" Delta tabletop saw, Bosch router and jig saw, Makita circular saw, Graco V-COMP HVLP, Festool CT-26 E Hepa
mrhart
Platinum Member

Post by mrhart »

Nice score, you got the whole "shootin match"! Welcome here sir.
R Hart