Poll - Do you have the PowerPro upgrade?

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Do you have the PowerPro upgrade?

No
36%
No
18%
No
46%

Total votes: 131

paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

To pay for the double tilt upgrade I sold by router table, that also friend up 5' of floor space , a bunch of wall space and an outlet. If also allowed me to get my plunge router back so I did not have to buy another one. So yes to get the full Mark 7 you need to get creative about what you can replace.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

joshh wrote:I inherited my Dad's Mark V 505. I also recently bought a rough 510. I am in the last stages of restoring the 505 and will steal the 510 tables. I haven't even begun to touch the old 510 as my efforts are focused on finishing the 505 and upgrading it with the two extra floating tables. I am also going to use extra parts to make a double tilt upgrade.

My options are:
Modify the 505's motor to add reverse. I guess then I'd have a mark 7 minus the power pro. Then turn the old 510 into a non-tilting power station for the jointer and bandsaw.

or

Part out the 510 (minus the stolen floating tables and hinge base) AND part out the 505 parts that the power pro replaces. Each headstock has a double bearing quill and a 1&1/8 hp motor. The 505 motor, drive sleeve, quill, and control sheave just had new premium NTN sealed bearings put in by Skip Campbell at MKC Tools. One is an '85 and one is an '86. IF selling those parts would pay for a DIY upgrade SWMBO would allow it. So what do y'all think. Will everything listed sell for that much in eBay?
Make a list of parts that you want to sell and go "test shopping" on EBay. I think you are going to be very disappointed at the results.

Start a "PP Jar" to collect all your loose change. You'll get there faster.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
eagleta2
Gold Member

not for me...

Post by eagleta2 »

I have a mark v upgraded to a 510... and am proud to say that I do not want or for see myself getting a power pro.

The bottom line is that it will not do anything that I need to do that my 510 won't. For the expense, I would prefer to spend that money on an spt I think I might need...or high quality saw blade...or a stack of lumber...or a new router...or a car.

Maybe when my 510 finally bites the dust I will have a different opinion, but then again I do not think that will happen in my lifetime.

Thanks

Geo
WmZiggy
Gold Member

The Miraculous Stair Case

Post by WmZiggy »

[quote="Cavediver"]"I'm still new to finer woodworking, even though I'm not new to working with wood...."

Cavediver, back in 1990 I was in Santa Fe, NM for a meeting and was able to break away from the conference on some free time. I visited the Sisters of Loretto Convent Chapel to see what they term "The Miraculous Stair Case". Perhaps you or others here have seen it. As they tell the story, all they had to get into the choir loft was a notched pole, not the most dignified way for ladies to ascend anything. It was built in the 1870s. They prayed for a carpenter to come and build them a staircase and that's when a carpenter appeared. He built the staircase and left without pay. Ever after the Sisters considered it a visitation of St. Joesph, the patron saint of woodworkers. You can see the staircase here: http://www.lorettochapel.com/staircase.html

Now fast forward to my visit in 1990. When I walked into that chapel and saw that staircase, a helix seemingly suspended in air, I was transfixed. It was also a vision in inlaid wood of different colors. They finally put a hand rail on the outside because it was unnerving climbing the stairs. Other than that, nothing has been done to the staircase since the carpenter built it. It was among the finest work, outside of a few monasteries in Europe, I had ever seen.

One of the questions that came from examining these stairs was, how did St. Joesph - or whoever - build it? Furthermore, he built it at a time when plug-in tools did not exist. That set me on a path that for the last 20+ years has slowly filled my shop with antique, as well as new, high-end hand tools. I probably have as much money in Lie-Nielsen hand planes as a PP would cost. The epiphany that came to me in Santa Fe was one involving the limitations of power tools. If you want to do really fine work an investment in high quality hand tools is a must. This is one reason I didn't upgrade and keep upgrading my Mark 500s - I needed money for hand tools. Between my plug -in beasts and those from another age, I can do the work I desire. I also, often before I work wood, say a little prayer giving thanks to St. Joesph for his blessing, his work, and the epiphany that changed my life.
WmZiggy
williamz@aol.com

"... and it was after long searching that I found the carpenter's chest, which was indeed a very useful prize to me, and much more valuable than a ship loading of gold." Daniel Defoe, Robinson Crusoe, 1719
76winger
Gold Member

Post by 76winger »

Myself, I mostly use my ShopSmith for a lathe and it does OK. However for the money of the PowerPro upgrade, I can get a nice full-sized lathe, so one of those is higher on my want list, along with a full sized bandsaw. I'm lucky enough to have the room for the individual tools though and realize many don't and upgrading the SS is the better option for those.
Dave Herrmann
Joy in life comes from doing the best you can in the things you enjoy doing most.
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

76winger wrote:Myself, I mostly use my ShopSmith for a lathe and it does OK. However for the money of the PowerPro upgrade, I can get a nice full-sized lathe, so one of those is higher on my want list, along with a full sized bandsaw. I'm lucky enough to have the room for the individual tools though and realize many don't and upgrading the SS is the better option for those.
As a lathe you should be comparing it to the Nova DVR and I don't think you can get one for the price of an upgrade.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
76winger
Gold Member

Post by 76winger »

I could get a new reconditioned Nova DVR for $1799.99:
http://www.novatoolsusa.com/RECONDITION ... 5175-R.htm

Or I could get a Refurbished Power Pro headstock for $1809.00:
http://www.shopsmith.com/shopsmithpower ... rchase.htm
Or go as low as 1509 for a DIY upgrade.

From the way I look at it, for that amount of money, I'd rather have a second piece of equipment in the shop. With the versatility of the SS, I can always use it for something else.
Dave Herrmann
Joy in life comes from doing the best you can in the things you enjoy doing most.
skou
Platinum Member

Post by skou »

I voted "no" because the PowerPro won't fit on "my" Shopsmith. Mine was made in 1948 or '49.

On the other hand, my lathe is a step UP from the Mk5/V stuff.

(Hides behind THICK wall, on account of flying rocks.) :D

Seriously, for the price of a PowerPro, I could get 4 or 5 more ERs, and a BUNCH more accessories. (If I only had the room!)

steve
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

skou wrote:I voted "no" because the PowerPro won't fit on "my" Shopsmith. Mine was made in 1948 or '49.

On the other hand, my lathe is a step UP from the Mk5/V stuff.

(Hides behind THICK wall, on account of flying rocks.) :D...
steve

That hiding from rocks is funny, Steve:). Wouldn't ever think of pouting over your strong, heavy, old lathe.;)

But let's see your lathe turn at 36 RPM. Admittedly, I would have to use a speed reducer and run the headstock at 250 RPM. Can you run at 250?:p
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
tomp
Gold Member

Post by tomp »

I have the Mark 7, and consider myself very lucky. My previous SS was a series 500 which I bought new in 1968-1970. I never upgraded anything, and was always satisfied. Then I went to a Mark 7 demo last year with the intention of getting a few upgrades. By the time I was done with my list, I saw that it was cheaper to buy a new machine. I gave the old one to my son.

I don't regret it at all.
Tom in Helena, MT
I bought my first Shopsmith Mark V in 1981. Today, I have a Mark 7, SS Bandsaw, SS Jointer, DC3300, DW735 planer, DW788 scrollsaw, SS Biscuit Joiner, Rockler Dovetail Jig, overarm pin router