motor sheave keyway which way up? and more ?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

tunznath
Gold Member

Post by tunznath »

504209 Long Key ... $1.35
(Item may be on back-order or is made upon ordering) - what I wanted and ordered

501320 Short Key ... $1.46
tunznath
Gold Member

Post by tunznath »

Hi Dusty - just searched for the part number of the short key and I got your post
http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthr ... ght=501320
with the pic you posted in post 5 above so i think they have sent me the wrong key.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I also believe you got the idler shaft key.

The motor shaft key is standard key stock and is straight. I am not sure of the size(3/16"? 1/8"? 5/32?) since I be 'out of town'. The end does not need to enter the fan sheave spacer. The key must be inserted fully into the keyway in the fan sheave. The fan sheave set screw holds the key in place. It should not be long enough to reach the sloping end of the milled keyway slot, but stop just short of there.

When tightening the fan sheave set screw, do not be bashful. Blue loctite is my preferred 'insurance' against loosening.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
tunznath
Gold Member

Post by tunznath »

just heard back from shopsmith they said if it has a hook it is the wrong key
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

tunznath wrote:just heard back from shopsmith they said if it has a hook it is the wrong key
Glad to hear they know as much as 'we'!:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
tunznath
Gold Member

Post by tunznath »

thank you everyone for your help, now I just need to wait till the replacement gets here