lowering the shopsmith

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

onevw
Gold Member

lowering the shopsmith

Post by onevw »

I can not find any threads talking about lowering the main shopsmith unit to make it easier for us shorter users to use the table saw etc. I was thinking of shortening the legs by ma bee 3". Has anyone tried this before?

RICK
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

Wouldn't it be easier to build a platform to stand on? On that would have a base large enough to prevent it from being a trip hazzard of cource...
idcook
Gold Member

Post by idcook »

ChrisNeilan wrote:Wouldn't it be easier to build a platform to stand on? On that would have a base large enough to prevent it from being a trip hazzard of cource...
I agree with this idea.
You don’t want to severely alter your machine just for this.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

onevw wrote:I can not find any threads talking about lowering the main shopsmith unit to make it easier for us shorter users to use the table saw etc. I was thinking of shortening the legs by ma bee 3". Has anyone tried this before?

RICK
Rick, I am 5' 8" and I have been having the same thoughts. In fact, I suggested to Shopsmith that it would be cool if they offered a special leg set that was shorter.

Given that I cannot buy shorter legs and that I do not have the skill or the equipment to cut a section out of the legs (to make them shorter), I have been preparing to mount mine on a saw horse (like the 10E or 10ER).

Sorta like this.

[ATTACH]24183[/ATTACH]

What has been slowing me down? Concern about the resulting height for the band saw, jointer and any other SPT that I might want to mount there. My internal counter argument is that the bench could always beed used for a bench if it does not workout.
Attachments
Saw Horse (Custom).png
Saw Horse (Custom).png (52.7 KiB) Viewed 4193 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

We have discussed that here before but I don't recall the threads.
There is nothing wrong with modifying your machine to fit yourself but many have complained that while it is too tall in saw mode it is too short in lathe mode. That is one reason that many suggest making a platform. It is easier to move in a platform for sawing than to carve out a hole in the floor for lathe work. :)
It is, after all, a multipurpose machine and such things almost always demand a compromise or two at some point.
You could of course cut some off of the legs then make blocks to raise it a little for lathe work.
I believe some have just built a new cabinet style base with variable height mounting and storage underneath.

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

Seeing 4 of these should spark some thoughts for somebody... :)

http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb-swing-back-trailer-jack-41005.html

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
terrydowning
Platinum Member

Post by terrydowning »

I have enteratined the idea of mounting the SS to one of these to make it truly height adjustable.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb-capacity-motorcycle-lift-68892-8495.html

Just a thought, but out of my budget for now.
--
Terry
Copy and paste the URLs into your browser if you want to see the photos.

1955 Shopsmith Mark 5 S/N 296860 Workshop and Tools
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AmpX5k8IhN7ahFCo9VvTDsCpoV_g

Public Photos of Projects
http://sdrv.ms/MaXNLX
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Guess it's what one has gotten used to. I'm a short guy! Used to be 5'7" but not any more! The Shopsmith is my very first table saw, so no problem with it's height.

Before the Shopsmith, I survived for years with a Radial Arm Saw. It was always set about the same height from the floor.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
benush26
Platinum Member

Post by benush26 »

I've modified my plans for my March/April build woodworking table to include a scissor jack to allow me to change the working height from 30" to 47" depending on the work.

I could envision a work platform using the same idea, to raise and lower the SS depending upon wants. Hmmm. Next Sketchup design. 18" of snow in the last few days had halted any thoughts of early March woodworking, so designing things keeps from going stir crazy.

That motorcycle table would be a very good solution if it weren't so expensive. A good friend has one. I'll check his out. Maybe I can see if building one to fit the SS is feasible, though the cost of steel has gone crazy. I still have my Dad's 10ER and it's on a sturdy and heavy angle iron frame.

Oh! So many ideas and now LOTS of winter left to think about them!

Be well,
Ben
onevw
Gold Member

Post by onevw »

Ok i have decided to make a Powered lift system to raise and lower the Shopsmith 4".

I have found two linear 12 volt actuators just sitting around the shop with nothing to do. So I can design some type of system using these actuators to lift/lower the Shopsmith unit.

OK I will get this done this summer.

Any ideas or drawing would help. These units have 5" stroke and 1000Lb load rating.

RICK