Shopsmith has good deal on Nova chuck

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

bobgroh
Gold Member

Shopsmith has good deal on Nova chuck

Post by bobgroh »

Just got the email - Shopsmith has a good (well, IMHO a 'great') deal on the Nova G3 chuck - includes the pin jaws, wood screw - nice little setup at a good price. Basically what I have and I am totally a fan.
Bob Groh
Blue Springs, Missouri (just east of Kansas City, MO)

--------------------------------------------
1984 SS Mark V updated to model 510
1994 SS Mark V updated to model 520
SS SPT's: Bandsaw
Other tools:routers, Bosch router table, Craftsman 6" jointer, Steel City 12" bench planer, Porter Cable 7" power saw, and too much other stuff (not really - just kidding!!)
kenbu
Gold Member

Post by kenbu »

+1 on Bob's recommendation. I've had mine for about a year and couldn't be happier with it. I am a novice turner. I turn pens and other small/medium stuff and this chuck works great for me. Also, it's compatible with the other Nova jaws (my next purchase will probably be the pen jaws) and can be upgraded to their quick-change system.

Ken
Cavediver
Gold Member

Post by Cavediver »

Thanks Bob. I've been on the brink of ordering one of these for a while now, and this'll probably push me over the edge.
bobgroh
Gold Member

Post by bobgroh »

I bought the pen jaws myself but have not had a chance to try them yet. Also bought a set of pen jaws for my son who has a Nova G3 on his lathe. I am hoping that the pen jaws will not only give me a nice capability to drill pen blanks (using my 1/2" chuck in the end post) but also allow me to get a 'deep' hold on spindles turnings. And, yes, the possibility of adding quick change jaws is exciting.
Bob Groh

Other tools:routers, Bosch router table, Craftsman 6" jointer, Steel City 12" bench planer, Porter Cable 7" power saw, and too much other stuff (not really - just kidding!!)
teacherman
Gold Member

Post by teacherman »

What does it enable one to do beside turn little stuff?
kenbu wrote:+1 on Bob's recommendation. I've had mine for about a year and couldn't be happier with it. I am a novice turner. I turn pens and other small/medium stuff and this chuck works great for me. Also, it's compatible with the other Nova jaws (my next purchase will probably be the pen jaws) and can be upgraded to their quick-change system.

Ken
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

teacherman wrote:What does it enable one to do beside turn little stuff?

That's about it. :D
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
bobgroh
Gold Member

Post by bobgroh »

Regarding Nova's pen jaws (notice these are not the same as PIN jaws), they can do quite a bit more than simply hold pen blanks! Best source is the Nova web site:

http://www.novatoolsusa.com/product.sc?productId=132

Basically you can use them to hold both round and square stock (e.g. pen blanks), you can use them for spigot work, square up pen blanks after inserting and gluing the inside tubes and a few other things. Take a look - I think they are a nice addition to the standard jaws.
Bob Groh