Table Tubes vs Trunnion Pivot Point

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The most logical tool for milling railroad ties is IMHO a chain saw!;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

[quote="JPG40504"]The most logical tool for milling railroad ties is IMHO a chain saw!]

Careful many railroad ties have a S shaped metal split reducer pressed into them. Some are buried as much as 6 inches in from the end. Most ties that have them have one end where the S is horizontal and the other end has an vertical S.

The ones I have seen are made from what looks to be 1/4 cast iron about 1 to 3 inches wide and occupy the center half to 3/4's of the end grain.

Hit one of these with your chain saw and I can almost guarantee it will ring your bell. :eek:
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Ed in Tampa wrote:Careful many railroad ties have a S shaped metal split reducer pressed into them. Some are buried as much as 6 inches in from the end. Most ties that have them have one end where the S is horizontal and the other end has an vertical S.

The ones I have seen are made from what looks to be 1/4 cast iron about 1 to 3 inches wide and occupy the center half to 3/4's of the end grain.

Hit one of these with your chain saw and I can almost guarantee it will ring your bell. :eek:
That seems like a problem regardless of what is used to cut them. Cannot their entry point be seen from the end?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
shaun
Gold Member

Post by shaun »

JPG40504 wrote:The most logical tool for milling railroad ties is IMHO a chain saw!]

Yep. And a chainsaw is (IMHO) more dangerous than running your table saw or band saw without any safety guards and without push sticks, feather boards, etc. Especially for cutting half-laps.

And embedded metal is a serious danger

Ed in Tampa wrote:Careful many railroad ties have a S shaped metal split reducer pressed into them...
Right, and sometimes a piece of spike, and occasionally (rarely, but...) other pieces of metal.
JPG40504 wrote:That seems like a problem regardless of what is used to cut them. Cannot their entry point be seen from the end?
You're right]much[/B] prefer to hit a piece of metal with my TS or BS than a chain saw. I've had surprises with both and the chainsaw is far more difficult to tame in such situations.

Although I was joking about doing them on the SS, I truly would prefer to find a different (fast) way of doing the job. (IOW, no suggestions, please, about bow saws and chisels!:p )

Cheers!
-Shaun-
Mk V w/Bandsaw - rough, missing lots of pieces but works
Mk V 520 PowerPro System w/Bandsaw; Scrollsaw; Router/Shaper; Universal Lathe Tool rest