Mark 520 on CL

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dgreen810
Gold Member

Mark 520 on CL

Post by dgreen810 »

I need an opinion or two. Do you guys think this machine is worth $700.00?

Its' just like new but some of the minor pieces are missing. Push blocks etc.

[ATTACH]26879[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]26880[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]26881[/ATTACH]

Don G
Attachments
Shopsmith cl.jpg
Shopsmith cl.jpg (39.76 KiB) Viewed 5607 times
Shopsmith cl a.jpg
Shopsmith cl a.jpg (40.22 KiB) Viewed 5605 times
Shopsmith cl b.jpg
Shopsmith cl b.jpg (41.23 KiB) Viewed 5604 times
Mark V 510, SS Bandsaw, SS Jig saw, DeWalt RAS, Tormek, Bosch Sabre Saw, Bosch Router, Porter Cable Router, Porter Cable biscuit jointer, IPM, Incra Jig, Jet mini lathe, Delta Drill Press, Delta lathe and etc.
algale
Platinum Member

You Are Kidding, Right????

Post by algale »

I've seen a few better deals on 520s that came with an SPT or two, but heck yes that's worth it.
2centsworth
Gold Member

Run it thru it's paces...

Post by 2centsworth »

I would feel better if it had a bandsaw, jointer or jigsaw with it. Anything to help the deal. It looks clean, but have them run it thru it's paces. Make sure the speed control works. Before you turn it on open the cover and smell the unit. Yes really. I have learned a lot this past year and I can smell trouble. Overheated motors are easy to spot or smell in this case. Heavy oil smell means they are trying to free up a bearing, never works. Listen for the motor sound when it is turned on. Any wine with that cheese is a bad thing. Don't sweat the little stuff, push blocks etc. eBay and Craigslist will have everything you need. Offer $600 cash in hand and see what happens. Either way good luck and hopefully you are bringing it home ! :D
Jerry Penny
2centsworth
The Woodlands, Tx
SS 520 SN#518424 2000 (reversed motor), Shopsmith 10 E (shorty) fully restored by Skip with DC motor, Shopsmith 10 ER fully restored by Skip with DC motor, Shopsmith 10 ER (under going restoration), Greenie Shorty sanding station, Greenie Mini jointer station, SS Bandsaw power station, SS Planner, SS overhead pin router, SS Belt Sander, SS Strip Sander,, SS Jigsaw, SS Dust Collector, Ringmaster, and still having fun looking for more !
2centsworth
Gold Member

Drill chuck ???

Post by 2centsworth »

I don't see a drill chuck in the picture. That is worth $50 right there. Keep that in mind if it is missing.
GO FOR IT ! I love spending other people's money ! :cool:
Jerry Penny
2centsworth
The Woodlands, Tx
SS 520 SN#518424 2000 (reversed motor), Shopsmith 10 E (shorty) fully restored by Skip with DC motor, Shopsmith 10 ER fully restored by Skip with DC motor, Shopsmith 10 ER (under going restoration), Greenie Shorty sanding station, Greenie Mini jointer station, SS Bandsaw power station, SS Planner, SS overhead pin router, SS Belt Sander, SS Strip Sander,, SS Jigsaw, SS Dust Collector, Ringmaster, and still having fun looking for more !
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

It looks like it is missing a few things. Miter gauge, support leg, I think I see a lower blade guard? How about the lathe items like drive and dead center, drill chuck? Lathe face plates, blade arbors?

Might want to see what is there and find out how much more those parts are going to cost you.......... and of course since I see a 500 top blade guard I will have to question if this started out as a 500 and was upgraded(not an issue but it might not be as new as it seems). How old is the head stock, it is a "C" but that could date back to 1991. Serial number/date code?

Then comes the looking at it.....

Ed
dgreen810
Gold Member

Post by dgreen810 »

I have a 1963 Mark V "Goldie" with all the bells and whistles and a 510 upgrade. My thoughts are to maybe buy this unit and sell my "Goldie"

Don G
Mark V 510, SS Bandsaw, SS Jig saw, DeWalt RAS, Tormek, Bosch Sabre Saw, Bosch Router, Porter Cable Router, Porter Cable biscuit jointer, IPM, Incra Jig, Jet mini lathe, Delta Drill Press, Delta lathe and etc.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

2centsworth wrote:I don't see a drill chuck in the picture. That is worth $50 right there. Keep that in mind if it is missing.
GO FOR IT ! I love spending other people's money ! :cool:
It seems strange to me how these "missing items" are so valuable when a box full of goodies seems to add nothing (if you are the buyer:rolleyes:).
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

dusty wrote:It seems strange to me how these "missing items" are so valuable when a box full of goodies seems to add nothing (if you are the buyer:rolleyes:).
I look at both, just a short time ago one of my sons picked up a used machine. It was missing some parts and if we were to just order them they would go for say $500. The 400 he paid plus the 500 for parts would have made the machine $900. That would not have been a good deal. As it is we expect to spend more like $200 by repairing and going to ebay for items.

The extra's were a bandsaw (will need some updates and parts) I figure it was worth at least $100 as is. Lots of other small items, drill bits, shaper fence, lot of blades, live tail stock, extra arbors (both saw and other), books, magazines, plans, manuals, and other fluff has to be worth another $100 at least.

After my inspection I could find no got-yeas so pending some major hidden flaw I said offer $300 but go no higher then $400. The guy had just lowered the price from $600 to $500 and they ended up at $400. For what he got I think it was a fair price given the extra's and the work it will need. Once it is up and operational we will have a better handle on that.

I like to play fair and I do look at what is missing and what is extra, I put a value to it as I see it. I'd like to think that is how I would like to be treated if I were selling one of my machines.

Ed
lightnin
Platinum Member

Post by lightnin »

If the headstock Works fine I would have no problem with the price.
Bruce

I didn't know what a Shopsmith was...
Three days later I owned one...
One week later I was rebuilding one...
Four months later I owned two....
Ok Ok, I'm up to four now...
dgreen810
Gold Member

Post by dgreen810 »

Passed on this offer.

Don G