OH NO YOU DIDN'T SHORTEN A 520

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

mbcabinetmaker
Platinum Member

OH NO YOU DIDN'T SHORTEN A 520

Post by mbcabinetmaker »

I just lopped 14" off of one of my 520's. :eek:

Now I am going to do a full service and complete waxing of the entire unit. The quill has always been a little sticky but it has low miles so maybe it just needs cleaning. I came up with the 14" wanting to still be able to use 2 floating tables on the left side of the main table wth extension tables on each end. Is still a good size for a drill press and I dont turn anything long on my Shopsmith's so I think I like it! :)
algale
Platinum Member

Re: OH NO YOU DIDN'T SHORTEN A 520

Post by algale »

Why wouldn't the 520 and the 510 actually make the most sense to turn into a shorty? With the floating tables that come with the 520/510 system and 5 foot connecting tubes, you can retain all the sawing function, I'd think, even with shorter bench and way tubes.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

What does it matter? Full length tubes are readily available on e-bay! ;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
skou
Platinum Member

Post by skou »

JPG wrote:What does it matter? Full length tubes are readily available on e-bay! ;)
And, DIRT CHEAP for the Mark series!

But, the MUCH thicker Model 10 way tubes are MUCH thicker, and may contribute to less flex, as well as that greatly needed hernia!

steve
10 ER, stripped down.
Basic 10ER, Parts machine. Will be a semi-dedicated drill-press machine.
10 ER, a "survivor" of the trailer fire, in the back yard, needing restoration. Has a Mk5 headrest. Finally, stripped down.
Numerous parts, for Model 10 stuff. Except for lower saw guard, A and B adapters, I've got it.

Looking for one more, or some 9 inch extension table raisers.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Please do not use Model 10 tubes for a shorty or a mini!!!!!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
skou
Platinum Member

Post by skou »

JPG wrote:Please do NOT use Model 10 tubes for a shorty or a mini!!!!!
Thanks, JPG!!

Since I brought up the Model 10, I should have said that. Mark series way tubes are still
in print, and are EASY to find. Model 10 stuff has been out of production for 60+ years,
and are RARE! Do NOT cut them up, or any other antique SS part.

PLEASE?!

steve
10 ER, stripped down.
Basic 10ER, Parts machine. Will be a semi-dedicated drill-press machine.
10 ER, a "survivor" of the trailer fire, in the back yard, needing restoration. Has a Mk5 headrest. Finally, stripped down.
Numerous parts, for Model 10 stuff. Except for lower saw guard, A and B adapters, I've got it.

Looking for one more, or some 9 inch extension table raisers.
2centsworth
Gold Member

Post by 2centsworth »

Picture please (if possible). Even I haven't cut down a 520 and I have made 18 shorties. Seems like difficult decision with 500's so available. I have only made 2 maybe 3 510 shorties. I'm very interested in seeing the table layout with all pieces attached.
Thanks
Jerry Penny
2centsworth
The Woodlands, Tx
SS 520 SN#518424 2000 (reversed motor), Shopsmith 10 E (shorty) fully restored by Skip with DC motor, Shopsmith 10 ER fully restored by Skip with DC motor, Shopsmith 10 ER (under going restoration), Greenie Shorty sanding station, Greenie Mini jointer station, SS Bandsaw power station, SS Planner, SS overhead pin router, SS Belt Sander, SS Strip Sander,, SS Jigsaw, SS Dust Collector, Ringmaster, and still having fun looking for more !
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

If 10 Way Tubes are all that rare, their market value must be be sky high. Just what are you guys who are concerned about them being altered willing to pay for a set?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:If 10 Way Tubes are all that rare, their market value must be be sky high. Just what are you guys who are concerned about them being altered willing to pay for a set?
As little as possible! :D

That said I paid about $30 for a pair.

I would go that again for good condition.

I have not yet 'mounted' the first pair. Too much stuff going on at the same time. This week 'holiday' treat making 24/7! :cool:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

:)
JPG wrote:
dusty wrote:If 10 Way Tubes are all that rare, their market value must be be sky high. Just what are you guys who are concerned about them being altered willing to pay for a set?
As little as possible! :D

That said I paid about $30 for a pair.

I would go that again for good condition.

I have not yet 'mounted' the first pair. Too much stuff going on at the same time. This week 'holiday' treat making 24/7! :cool:

JPG,

I agree completely with this post and the one where you said don't make a shorty from 10ER tubes. When I made my shorty a few years ago I had a set of 10ER tubes and all the other parts I got on eBay. When it came time to assemble the shorty I just couldn't bear to cut the 10ER tubes. So I replaced the tubes on my full sized MK V with the 10ER tubes. I cut 18" from the bench and way tubes and made the shorty with a 520 table and fence. My full size MK V started out as a new 510 from the factory in 1994. I upgraded it to a 520 when the upgrade first came out. Now it is a full up Power Pro MK 7 double tilt 520 with 10ER way tubes. I bought a new factory Power Pro head stock so I had my original 1994 headstock left over. I used it to build a dedicated drill press using the 18" bench tube pieces left over from the shorty with full sized 10ER way tubes, 520 table and fence, the end castings left over from my full sized MK V after the double tilt upgrade and the rest of the parts from eBay. :) :) :)