Add-on Bench

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

berry
Platinum Member

Add-on Bench

Post by berry »

The new issue of Woodsmith Magazine, that's issue #220, has an article on what they call a "add-on bench". Essentially a small work bench that is clamped to a standard bench to raise work to a more comfortable height.

Thus eliminating back strain and helping those with poor eye sight. It's fairly sophisticated.

A couple of years ago I decided there were plenty of times that raised bench would benefit my work. So I made this. Just two "I" bean type devices that clamp to the main bench and then I screw a 3/4 piece of scrap pw on top and call it a bench.
Bench 293.jpg
Bench 293.jpg (71.22 KiB) Viewed 4671 times
Anyway I was wondering if any of you have made a add-on bench and what it looks like and how it works for you.

Thanks for reading.
cham-ed
Gold Member

Re: Add-on Bench

Post by cham-ed »

This may not be quite what the topic started out. But I think this is similar. I built the scissor lift workbench from Woodsmith #217 a couple of weeks ago. I love it. I'm always working at the right height. Oh and the vise is a genuine Wilton that I stole a few years ago for $5. I tried unsucessfully to post a couple of photos
tdubnik
Platinum Member

Post by tdubnik »

cham-ed wrote:This may not be quite what the topic started out. But I think this is similar. I built the scissor lift workbench from Woodsmith #217 a couple of weeks ago. I love it. I'm always working at the right height. Oh and the vise is a genuine Wilton that I stole a few years ago for $5. I tried unsucessfully to post a couple of photos
I would love to see pictures of this bench. I'm sure someone will jump in and inform you how to post them.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

While different this post shows a way of elevating off bench level as an aid to clamping and is constructed much like the first picture.

http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/gener ... 11614.html

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
djr
Gold Member

Post by djr »

tdubnik wrote:
cham-ed wrote:This may not be quite what the topic started out. But I think this is similar. I built the scissor lift workbench from Woodsmith #217 a couple of weeks ago. I love it. I'm always working at the right height. Oh and the vise is a genuine Wilton that I stole a few years ago for $5. I tried unsucessfully to post a couple of photos
I would love to see pictures of this bench. I'm sure someone will jump in and inform you how to post them.
follow this link to a copy of that issue from Woodsmith.

http://www.woodsmithlibrary.com/promo/2 ... paign=8983
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

That would help when I need to work closer with small things, but I have cabinets mounted directly above my workbench so adding another bench on top wouldn't work for me. When I need to be closer to my work, I use my shop stool so I can sit instead of stand.
If I had a bench in the middle of the shop, that idea would work great.