Bandsaw Blade Tracking Adjustments Etc.

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: Bandsaw Blade Tracking Adjustments Etc.

Post by jsburger »

wa2crk wrote:JSB
I didn't think my tires looked too bad. I will take another look. I have changed tires on several bandsaws but I can't remember if I did mine or not. Bandsaw is dated 5/22/01 so they might due.
Bill V
Yes I edited the post. Something didn't look right then I looked again. Sorry :mad:
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Got the cover off mine and took the blade off so before I put it back together I took a couple of pictures. As you can see my brass screws look a lot different then yours.
IMG_0477sc.jpg
IMG_0477sc.jpg (98.58 KiB) Viewed 10132 times
IMG_0479sc.jpg
IMG_0479sc.jpg (101.84 KiB) Viewed 10132 times
Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Reible
I did check the length of mine and they are 3/4". If I do this again I will try to get some 1" long brass screws fro McMaster-Carr as replacements. The bandsaw is dated 5/22/01.
Bill V
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

IIRC, the height clamp spring tension will affect the final position of those brass screws.

Back the screws out fully, then adjust the clamp tension spring. This should position the post closer to the screws so they do not need to be so far in.

You might start with the brass screws set similar to Ed's shown above before adjusting the clamp spring tension.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

wa2crk wrote:Reible
I did check the length of mine and they are 3/4". If I do this again I will try to get some 1" long brass screws fro McMaster-Carr as replacements. The bandsaw is dated 5/22/01.
Bill V

Mine is older but the casting sure look pretty much alike. How much space (opening) is there from the casting to the blade arm? I have about 3/16".

I'm also wondering if the guide lock spring could be damaged or set to far back. That would account for the issues. Might want to take a look at that.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

WA2CRK: the blade is parallel to the post in your pix.

The blade rides slightly off center normally with the oem single 10mm wide bearing as your pix shows..
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

JPG
I did basically what you said and I believe that the set screws Were very close to Reibles when I started but when I finished they were back to their original positions. The manual says to maintain some pressure against the brass screws with the spring when making adjustments to the set screws. Putting too much pressure on the screws makes the guide post very difficult to move so the tension must be reduced after each adjustment. This is not a difficult thing to do but the spring tensioning screw on mine has had the slot chewed up apparently from previous adjustments but a 1/2" ignition wrench was used to reach the hex head on the rear of the bracket. Actually works a bit better.

Reible
I thought about possible damage to the spring but I can't afford any down time because the club has a large project for a camp for handicapped kids starting soon. Who knows but this may be an expected and acceptable condition. I just have a phobia about nuts not being fully seated and all threads engaged. Looks weak to me.
Bill V
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

wa2crk wrote:JPG
I did basically what you said and I believe that the set screws Were very close to Reibles when I started but when I finished they were back to their original positions. The manual says to maintain some pressure against the brass screws with the spring when making adjustments to the set screws. Putting too much pressure on the screws makes the guide post very difficult to move so the tension must be reduced after each adjustment. This is not a difficult thing to do but the spring tensioning screw on mine has had the slot chewed up apparently from previous adjustments but a 1/2" ignition wrench was used to reach the hex head on the rear of the bracket. Actually works a bit better.

Reible
I thought about possible damage to the spring but I can't afford any down time because the club has a large project for a camp for handicapped kids starting soon. Who knows but this may be an expected and acceptable condition. I just have a phobia about nuts not being fully seated and all threads engaged. Looks weak to me.
Bill V
You are adjusting those brass screws in equal but opposite direction each time?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

NO According to my manual it says to turn the upper screw when the bearing is low (near the table) and to turn the lower screw when the bearing is at the top. It also says not to make large adjustments. Small amounts repetitively until alignment is achieved.
Bill V

JPG, Sorry my bad. It does say to adjust in opposite directions. When our volunteer effort is done I will try that method. Don't know why I interpreted the text wrong. Chalk it up to old age.
Bill
P.S. to all
Just passed my medical test and can't play with machinery for 24 hrs
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I would think it OK to 'play' with machinery, just do not turn it 'on'. ;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝