Steel cabinet base casters

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

johnwilliamson062
Gold Member

Steel cabinet base casters

Post by johnwilliamson062 »

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/73 ... 49435a.jpg

I have a Shopsmith with a base like that. It is missing the bushing for three of the casters. I purchased new casters and the stem is far too small for the hole. In one hole there is a bushing/housing the stem fits into. I didn't see this part on the shopsmith website. I don't think the normal caster system is compatible with this base, so I don't think I can buy a set of used casters.
Can anyone shed some light on this for me?
damagi
Platinum Member

Re: Steel cabinet base casters

Post by damagi »

johnwilliamson062 wrote:https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/73 ... 49435a.jpg

I have a Shopsmith with a base like that. It is missing the bushing for three of the casters. I purchased new casters and the stem is far too small for the hole. In one hole there is a bushing/housing the stem fits into. I didn't see this part on the shopsmith website. I don't think the normal caster system is compatible with this base, so I don't think I can buy a set of used casters.
This is a Mark VII, so you will have the best luck searching for that. I think I may have some Mark VII caster parts. If you want I can take a look and we can work something out.
damagi
Platinum Member

Post by damagi »

johnwilliamson062 wrote:https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/73 ... 49435a.jpg

This is a Mark VII, so you will have the best luck searching for that. I think I may have some Mark VII caster parts. If you want I can take a look and we can work something out.
johnwilliamson062
Gold Member

Very interested. Found a few on ebay, but not from same seller, so I'll take a pounding on shipping. Also not sure they are the correct items. Looks like very similar item on MK V casters.
I'd really like to consolidate everything to the MK VII and sell the MK V. Won't be easy to sell if I disassemble the casters(assuming they are compatible).
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Casters are nice but I do not believe that "having no casters" will detract from the marketability of a clean, functional Mark V.

Where are you located?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
johnwilliamson062
Gold Member

Dayton, home of the Shopsmith.
Actually my MK VII was supposedly one of the salesman's units.
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

That is a very nice looking Mark VII...
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
johnwilliamson062
Gold Member

To be clear, the pictured machine is not mine. Mine hase a base that is the same though.
Without casters the base of mine was left in contact with a concrete floor by the previous owner. It probably went 5 years without any maintenance whatsoever. The motor is good after a few drops of oil, a little sand paper and ink will clear up the rust issues.
johnwilliamson062
Gold Member

Does anyone know if the powerhead from the MK VII can be switched with the motor from the MK V? All I have to worry about is if the way tubes are the same diameter? If I can't find caster sleeves I may try that.
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

johnwilliamson062 wrote:Does anyone know if the powerhead from the MK VII can be switched with the motor from the MK V? All I have to worry about is if the way tubes are the same diameter? If I can't find caster sleeves I may try that.

Start in this thread at https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/view ... 88#p191288 and see if digging around in that thread which is an older one, doesn't get you what you need to answer that.

JPG is the Mark VII guru of record I think all agree.

BTW your picture you posted is also in that thread.

Everett