Tomsalwasser Asked For It

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

db5
Platinum Member

Tomsalwasser Asked For It

Post by db5 »

I've reformatted some how-to posts from this site, downloaded some things from Shopsmith and other websites and formatted and converted them to pdf files to print and put in an easy reference binder. (Most but not all are Shopsmith stuff). This is an alphabetical list. Many are 1-2 pages but some are quite long.

Having observed that many of you are greedy for more information I can post them here but don't know where they should go nor if how many can be posted at once.

Shop Tips PDF Files

45 Degree Jig
Align the Rip Fence
Band Saw Adjustment
Band Saw Fence
Box Joint Jig
Concrete Anchor for Jacobs Chuck
Cutting Circles with a Table Saw
Cyclone Dust Collector DIY
Dado Blade Template
Dial Indicator for Shopsmith (DIY easy and cheap to make)
Disc Sanding
Dovetail Jig
Feather Boards
Floating Table
Hand Scrapers
Hexagon Chisel
High Speed Adjustment
How to Reset the Speed Control Dial
Inches to Decimal Conversion Chart
Installing a Link Belt
Lubricating the Shopsmith
Main Table Alignment Jig
Peg Board 1
Peg Board 2
Replacing the Speed Changer
Router Edge Guide
Router Table Insert
Saw Sharpening (hand)
Sharpening Drill Bits
Shopsmith 510 Extra Table & Carriage (exploded view)
Shopsmith 510 Saw Guards (exploded view)
Shopsmith 510 Work Table (exploded view)
Shopsmith Common Problems
Shopsmith Date of Mfg. (chart)
Shopsmith Headstock Rebuilding Checklist
Shopsmith Mark VII Motor Test
Shopsmith Setscrews (chart)
Squaring a Fence to a Blade
Shopsmith Miter Gauge (exploded view)
rjent
Platinum Member

Re: Tomsalwasser Asked For It

Post by rjent »

Looking forward to that for sure!!! :D
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1951 10 ER S/N ER 44570 -- Reborn 9/16/14
1950 10 ER S/N ER 33479 Reborn July 2016
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild
500, Jointer, Bsaw, Bsander, Planer
2014 Mark 7 W/Lift assist - 14 4" Jointer - DC3300
And a plethora of small stuff .....

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

That's just fantastic. Sure hope you can get them posted.
tomsalwasser
Platinum Member

Post by tomsalwasser »

I feared the worst when I saw the subject header :D

Thanks DB this is fantastic!
db5
Platinum Member

Post by db5 »

Are there limits to the number of pdf files (or pages) that can be posted. Can I post ALL of these in one posting? Moving forward with some guidance would be better than winging it. In other words, know what you are doing before attempting to do it.
reubenjames
Gold Member

Post by reubenjames »

Easiest would be to upload them to a free file storage service, like Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive, etc. and then just get links for each one and convert each of your lines in the original post to a link. That way nothing is actually uploaded to the forum itself and the bandwidth usage stays off the forums and on to a service designed for serving files in that manner.
lyall
Gold Member

Post by lyall »

db5
to help with uploads and downloads, set the jpeg compression down to around 70 to 60% and reduce the image resolution down to 150 or 75 DPI.
it is hard to tell the different.
it does make a big different in the size of the file/s
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

BTW if the information has been copyrighted and you decide to copy it to a place other then where it is then you have to have permission to do so. A shopsmith site that use to exist was doing that and shopsmith shut them down.

That is why we post links rather then copying the stuff here.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
db5
Platinum Member

Post by db5 »

reubenjames wrote:Easiest would be to upload them to a free file storage service, like Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive, etc. and then just get links for each one and convert each of your lines in the original post to a link. That way nothing is actually uploaded to the forum itself and the bandwidth usage stays off the forums and on to a service designed for serving files in that manner.
I love your response. EASIEST - if you know how. I learned 30 years ago that user's manuals created by software designers were useless because the always assumed users knew what they did when most knew NOTHING so you had to start with that assumption. My son has made a very good career from converting computer software engineer's instructions into something customers can use.

This is not to fault you because I have found your posts to be useful. It's just a cautionary tale. Let's begin with I AM NEW, DUMB and NOT TOO BRIGHT.

What is Dropbox and HOW do I use it?
One Drive? Never heard of it. How do I get it? Why?
Google Drive? Whisky Tango Foxtrot?

Your reasoning is "That way nothing is actually uploaded to the forum itself." Do I care or do I just want to post something. The Admin is concerned with the band-wave capacity.

Now, not to offend you, because your answers were great but didn't address the issue which was how to accomplish this. I just didn't know how to do it and just need a simple answer.

Your answer was sort of a like how to for some Star Trek question which was: First disconnect the Tricometric support brackets from the Super Perfosinatoner and then. . .

Here's the recommendation: Never assume anyone knows anything. The simplest answer is the best until you get more information. Offer step by step directions if you can and supported by picture if you have them.

This is a recommendation for all users. Simple answers with clear instructions on how to do it and supported by pictures if you have them.
db5
Platinum Member

Post by db5 »

reible wrote:BTW if the information has been copyrighted and you decide to copy it to a place other then where it is then you have to have permission to do so.
Ed, thanks for the alert. I am well aware of copyright protection having dealt with that for 50 years. As I recall there was none on any of these but I'll double check as I have the original sources on file. After checking I'll see if I can post them.