Using the SS Sharpening Jig While Turning

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

fixit
Gold Member

Post by fixit »

Hi Bob,

I appreciate your concerns and some others may agree with you. The pictures were posted to show how the jig was set up - not to demonstrate safety procedures.

I seriously doubt sparks would set the plywood on fire while sharpening. Grinding chisels to correct the shape of the bevel might create a problem but I would do that on a grinder, not this setup.

As for the gasoline can. I suppose it could pose a serious threat if open and placed directly under the sanding disk. However, being tightly closed and five feet away in an open air location seems to me to be sufficiently safe. In my opinion whatever fumes were present in the situation shown do not present a hazard. Maybe I'm not sensitive enough by your standards. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

If you don't want to use this idea that's fine with me. However, I plan to use it and I think many others will too. Perhaps you could make a similar setup using a metal plate instead of plywood as BPR mentioned.

Regards,
----------------------------------------
Leonard
La Vernia, TX
Wood Goods - Custom Woodwork
EMAIL: woodgoods "at" lavernia "dot" net
PowerPro 520, PowerPro 500 (was my father's 500), SS jointer, SS Mark V mount planer, SS bandsaws (2), belt sander, scroll saw, SS jig saws (2), strip sander, Jointech system, 12" Delta Compound Miter Saw, a small collection of routers, a router table and a Delta Unisaw. All in a 24' x 24' shop.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Leonard, I think your idea is fantastic and I intend to develop one for myself.

Pictures and ten.

However, please be careful with that gasoline can. Much better to be safe than sorry!
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
fixit
Gold Member

Post by fixit »

Thanks Dusty,

However, the idea (and the gas can) belong to my BIL Jay. He came up with the basic idea and I provided a couple of "refinement" ideas which he incorporated. I'll pass along your thoughts and Bob's about the gas can.

Jay is working on the second dado slot which will allow sharpening of much shorter chisels. This should save $$$ for anyone who uses their lathe a lot - they can buy chisels less frequently. Since he still has to work he thinks his final product won't be ready until sometime in October. I'll post pics when I get them.

Regards,
Leonard
La Vernia, TX
PowerPro 520, PowerPro 500 (was my father's 500), SS jointer, SS Mark V mount planer, SS bandsaws (2), belt sander, scroll saw, SS jig saws (2), strip sander, Jointech system, 12" Delta Compound Miter Saw, a small collection of routers, a router table and a Delta Unisaw. All in a 24' x 24' shop.
jjbraun50
Silver Member

Post by jjbraun50 »

Hi, guys, I just wanted to weigh in and clarify some things. First, the gas can. It was there by chance and it was a temporary thing. I had to move my Shopsmith around in the garage closer to the open door (which would have dissipated any fumes anyway), for better lighting for my non-flash digital camera. Second, the plywood is only a prototype. For the finished product, I plan on using a melamine coated surface.

What amazes me is that some will assume that a proclaimed prototype is the final setup and that's how and where it is used all the time. It was already mentioned that it is not the final answer to the project. Final pictures will be taken and I can assure you that they won't have a gas can in the picture.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I am looking forward to the final version. It sounds like a great idea. This is another one of those ideas that I'd like for Shopsmith to look at as a possible upgrade item.

There wouldn't be a lot of up front design work - you have already done that. It is just a matter of getting it into production which I realize is an expensive and time consuming task.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
jjbraun50
Silver Member

Post by jjbraun50 »

do you think they would give me a Sand Flee for the design? :D
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I think they should but I doubt they will.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
fixit
Gold Member

Post by fixit »

I FINALLY found the pictures of the final version! This version is made of MDF and painted. MDF is more stable than plywood (and less expensive!) so it's a better fit for this project.
Leonard
La Vernia, TX
fixit
Gold Member

Post by fixit »

I FINALLY found the pictures of the final version! This version is made of MDF and painted. MDF is more stable than plywood (and less expensive!) so it's a better fit for this project.
Leonard
La Vernia, TX
fixit
Gold Member

Post by fixit »

I found the pictures of the final version! This version is made of MDF and painted. MDF is more stable than plywood (and less expensive!) so it's a better fit for this project.

Had a problem with posting the pictures - had to resize them to fit in the parameters used by the forum. Hope they will post OK this time.
Attachments
Back Sharpening Jig1 (Small).JPG
Back Sharpening Jig1 (Small).JPG (58.1 KiB) Viewed 5522 times
Back Sharpening Jig2 (Small).JPG
Back Sharpening Jig2 (Small).JPG (62.66 KiB) Viewed 5496 times
Back Sharpening Jig3 (Small).jpg
Back Sharpening Jig3 (Small).jpg (57.33 KiB) Viewed 5497 times
Leonard
La Vernia, TX