Riving knife

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

ecom1
Gold Member

Riving knife

Post by ecom1 »

Threads over the last few days have got me thinking about taking the extra riving knife off my wish list and adding it to my "order" list. Then I had a thought - I have 2 mark V's, and can't think of a situation when I'd ever have both set up for table saw at the same time. Does anyone see a reason why I can't disassemble one of the upper saw guards and pull the riving knife out for use in non-through cuts? Might have to modify the shape a little, but the thickness and attachment would be correct.
Ed

Shopsmith: 2 Mark V 510 (1988,1993), bandsaw, jointer, mounted planer, belt sander, scroll saw, strip sander, lathe duplicator, conical disc sander, biscuit joiner, free standing router table with Jointech IPM-1
Other stuff: Bosch glide mitre, Ridgid 13" planer, Rikon drill press, routers, drills, and other toys
dusty
Platinum Member

Re: Riving knife

Post by dusty »

The riving knife (556223) costs $32.99. Wow That's an expensive little piece of metal.

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... _knife.htm

The Upper saw guard (514366) costs $86.09. If you dismantle the upper saw guard to harvest the riving knife, it becomes an even more expensive little piece of metal.

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/item ... tem=514366

I would suggest that you purchase a riving knife and at the same time list your upper saw guard for sale on ebay.

Making a riving knife would be a relatively simple job except for one small but very important factor. Actually maybe two. Getting a piece of metal the right thickness and the right rigidity. I made one but was never satisfied so I bought one. It resides almost constantly on my table saw.

PS Don't overlook shipping costs.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
bobgroh
Gold Member

Post by bobgroh »

I agree with Dusty.Buy one rather than try to hack one together. If you buy it, you'll use it right now! I have had one for a couple of years and regard it as a nice safety tool. Thought about making one .... until SS came out with one! Buy one - good investment for YOU!!
Bob Groh
Blue Springs, Missouri (just east of Kansas City, MO)

--------------------------------------------
1984 SS Mark V updated to model 510
1994 SS Mark V updated to model 520
SS SPT's: Bandsaw
Other tools:routers, Bosch router table, Craftsman 6" jointer, Steel City 12" bench planer, Porter Cable 7" power saw, and too much other stuff (not really - just kidding!!)
ecom1
Gold Member

Post by ecom1 »

Thanks guys. I agree that it's an expensive little piece of metal - by the time I pay exchange and shipping, I think it'll be over $60. I may yet look at parting out one of my current upper guards, and hope I don't need a second one - good news is it looks like the regular knife is available separately if needed.
Ed

Shopsmith: 2 Mark V 510 (1988,1993), bandsaw, jointer, mounted planer, belt sander, scroll saw, strip sander, lathe duplicator, conical disc sander, biscuit joiner, free standing router table with Jointech IPM-1
Other stuff: Bosch glide mitre, Ridgid 13" planer, Rikon drill press, routers, drills, and other toys
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

ecom1 wrote:Thanks guys. I agree that it's an expensive little piece of metal - by the time I pay exchange and shipping, I think it'll be over $60. I may yet look at parting out one of my current upper guards, and hope I don't need a second one - good news is it looks like the regular knife is available separately if needed.
Have you contacted All In One Wood Tools , they are the Canadian distributor for Shopsmith. Unless things have changed you will not be able to order direct from Shopsmith in the USA.

Also where do you live on the Island? Shipwright asked in another thread but I think you missed it. He lives in Cowichan Bay and winters in Arizona, I live in Colwood.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
ecom1
Gold Member

Post by ecom1 »

Thanks Ron - yes Shipwright PM'd me. I live in Nanaimo. I have ordered from All in One, but you pay shipping from Shopsmith to them, plus shipping from them to you. I found this out when I was looking at ordering a Miter set - $129.90 USD from Shopsmith, $220 (plus domestic shipping from Ontario) from All in One. Big difference.
Ed

ecom1
Gold Member

Post by ecom1 »

Sorry, I typo'd - should have read $210 CDn
Ed

thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

To add an alternative to the mix, Shark Guard makes both a riving knife and upper saw guard with dust port for the SS. You can choose the thickness of the riving knife and with or without pawls. I have considered getting the upper guard with dust port. The guard is removable so it can be used as a riving knife. Then my husband bought the SS riving knife for me so I could not use that as an excuse to get the new guard. Now if only I could convince my husband I need a new upper guard with dust collection. :rolleyes:

http://www.thesharkguard.com/ordershopsmith.html
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
bobgroh
Gold Member

Post by bobgroh »

I don't think the Sharkguard is the same thing as the SS riving knife. The SS riving knife travels up and down with the blade and is used for through cuts (i.e. where the blade does not go through the top of the board you are cutting). You don't use the upper blade guard at all for a through cut(well, you can and I do some times). In fact, I think the Sharkguard is basically like the regular Shopsmith upper saw blade guard except the Sharkguard has the dust port.

Now adding a dust port to the SS blade guard is a worthwhile addition and I have given the idea of making one a lot of consideration. But that is another discussion.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Might be a good idea to change 'through' to 'non-through' above. ;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange