I always learn something here!

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: I always learn something here!

Post by JPG »

If NO gap at the 'far' end, the cut IS square. The further away the ends are from the cut, the more accurate the indication.

Realize the 'runout' is doubled, same as the 5 cut error is quadrupled.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Dusty, my friend = I think you were better off before you found out about the adjustable thing.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

You just might be right about that Charlese. Now that I have made that discovery, I am faced with the challenge of correcting the .003°2' error :eek: .
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
ecom1
Gold Member

Post by ecom1 »

Lol, Dusty, I could only hope my work was so accurate that 3 thou would be noticeable :). I learned a new trick - if it looks bad, I just take my glasses off..
Ed

Shopsmith: 2 Mark V 510 (1988,1993), bandsaw, jointer, mounted planer, belt sander, scroll saw, strip sander, lathe duplicator, conical disc sander, biscuit joiner, free standing router table with Jointech IPM-1
Other stuff: Bosch glide mitre, Ridgid 13" planer, Rikon drill press, routers, drills, and other toys
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

ecom1 wrote:Lol, Dusty, I could only hope my work was so accurate that 3 thou would be noticeable :). I learned a new trick - if it looks bad, I just take my glasses off..
Let's make sure we are reading from the same sheet of music. This song is not about my work! It is about my instruments; in this case a Miter Gauge and Square.

My Miter Gauge, the V120, was manufactured by Incra - a company well known for precision.

I am pleased to hear that you too had a learning experience here on the forum.

BTW - The Incra Miter Gauge squared up real well.
Miter Gauge Squared 002.jpg
Miter Gauge Squared 002.jpg (1.82 MiB) Viewed 15369 times

The setup gauge that you see here is one of my frequently used gauges. I have two smaller ones that I use predominantly to set or check fences (jointer and rip) for square to the table.
Last edited by dusty on Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

dusty wrote:
ecom1 wrote:Lol, Dusty, I could only hope my work was so accurate that 3 thou would be noticeable :). I learned a new trick - if it looks bad, I just take my glasses off..
Let's make sure we are reading from the same sheet of music. This song is not about my work! It is about my instruments; in this case a Miter Gauge and Square.

My Miter Gauge, the V120, was manufactured by Incra - a company well known for precision.

I am pleased to hear that you too had a learning experience here on the forum.

BTW - The Incra Miter Gauge squared up real

Miter Gauge Squared 002.jpg well.

The setup gauge that you see here is but one of my frequently used gauges. I have two smaller ones that I use predominantly to set or check fences (jointer and rip) for square to the table.
I was quite surprised to see just how "out of square" the V120 could be. This is with the four screws loose and the protractor forced out to its maximum.
Miter Gauge Squared 005.jpg
Miter Gauge Squared 005.jpg (1.73 MiB) Viewed 15365 times
Miter Gauge Squared 006.jpg
Miter Gauge Squared 006.jpg (1.6 MiB) Viewed 15365 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

charlese wrote:Dusty, my friend = I think you were better off before you found out about the adjustable thing.
I might not be any better off than I was before I discovered the "adjustable thingy", Charlese but I am sure glad that I did. The error was "major minor" and I see no noticeable difference in performance but I do know that the miter gauge is adjusted to within as tight of specifications as can be.

I do like my Incra V120.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

It's a good thing when you're satisfied with your tools :D
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Ya can never have enough tools !!

Hobbyman2
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)