Proud Mark V owner

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Herkdriver
Gold Member

Proud Mark V owner

Post by Herkdriver »

Hello all,

I'm proud to say that I finally got a Mark V! It's a Model 510, manufactured in 2002, and is in great shape. I've been wanting one for several years. It was a perfect 50th birthday present from my wife.

The only attachment it came with was the bandsaw, but I want to order the router shield/chuck soon. I am also starting to think about the dust collector. I've rigged up my shop vac for temporary use.

I've got it all cleaned up and I'm looking forward to getting started with it. I've done some woodworking, but have never had the tools to get beyond the novice level. I ordered the Mark V Essentials DVD set to get off to a good start.

Looking forward to being part of the Shopsmith community.

Lance
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Proud Mark V owner

Post by JPG »

Welcome, and never be bashful to ask any question. We been there done that(whatever you have a question about).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Herkdriver
Gold Member

Post by Herkdriver »

JPG wrote:Welcome, and never be bashful to ask any question. We been there done that(whatever you have a question about).
Thank you JPG! I appreciate that. I'm sure I will have many questions.
ERLover
Platinum Member
Location: Greenie and Goldie Country not to metion the WI Badgers!

Post by ERLover »

First off welcome you only have friends and supper SS knowledge here, and a few egos, JPG is one of them and a whole different lingo.
I dont know how big your shop area is or what your wood working projects will be. For me I have 2 SS, 1 made into a shorty for a standing station, belt and disk, 3 old classic ERs, they are tanks!!
At this time in my life I live between my home and my mothers mostly as her care giver 90 miles apart. Here I uses a full size SS for most things, but I have a full size jet table saw, I never found SS table saw to be there strong point. It does have my SS jointer on it and band saw. All so my SS 2 ERs, drill press mode and lathe. I have a router set up in a cabinet, non SS. I use it so much that dont want to do the SS change over. At home I have the space and the finances to indulge in separate machines besides my SS, but up there I have a Menards clone SS jointer that is 6" instead of 4". A free standing SS BS and a separate TS but a SS and ER.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. Albert Einstein
The Greatness officially starts :D :D :D :D :D :D
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)
Herkdriver
Gold Member

Post by Herkdriver »

ERLover wrote:First off welcome you only have friends and supper SS knowledge here, and a few egos, JPG is one of them and a whole different lingo.
I dont know how big your shop area is or what your wood working projects will be. For me I have 2 SS, 1 made into a shorty for a standing station, belt and disk, 3 old classic ERs, they are tanks!!
At this time in my life I live between my home and my mothers mostly as her care giver 90 miles apart. Here I uses a full size SS for most things, but I have a full size jet table saw, I never found SS table saw to be there strong point. It does have my SS jointer on it and band saw. All so my SS 2 ERs, drill press mode and lathe. I have a router set up in a cabinet, non SS. I use it so much that dont want to do the SS change over. At home I have the space and the finances to indulge in separate machines besides my SS, but up there I have a Menards clone SS jointer that is 6" instead of 4". A free standing SS BS and a separate TS but a SS and ER.

ERLover, thanks for the welcome! I've got my shop set up in "my" half of the garage. It is a large garage, so I have a decent amount of room to work in. I am not sure what all projects I will tackle yet, but I'm open to trying a little bit of everything. I am especially interested in the lathe and want to turn some pens, etc. My first "project" will be helping my son with his pinewood derby car for Cub Scouts. It will be a good warmup for me.

It sounds like you have a really nice setup! I appreciate you describing it for me, because it gives me a good idea of how other Shopmith users set up their shop and what items I might consider buying in the future.

Thanks again,
Lance
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

Dive into it and start making sawdust. Nothing is more sad than owning a Shopsmith and not using it to cut wood and build nice projects.
Herkdriver
Gold Member

Post by Herkdriver »

garys wrote:Dive into it and start making sawdust. Nothing is more sad than owning a Shopsmith and not using it to cut wood and build nice projects.
Thanks Garys, well said. I'm in my shop, about to get started. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WoodyWoodWorker
Bronze Member

Post by WoodyWoodWorker »

Congrats on scoring your Shopsmith Herkdriver! You will love it! And yes, I can see the dust collector in your future for sure. Enjoy!
ecom1
Gold Member

Post by ecom1 »

Welcome to the club! I'm relatively new here too but can say I'm constantly amazed at the amount of product knowledge available through this group!! Being new to this tool, you will have questions - don't be shy, ask away. Then you'll probably have to sift through all the ideas to find the best one for you, which is a great "problem" to have! :)
Ed

Shopsmith: 2 Mark V 510 (1988,1993), bandsaw, jointer, mounted planer, belt sander, scroll saw, strip sander, lathe duplicator, conical disc sander, biscuit joiner, free standing router table with Jointech IPM-1
Other stuff: Bosch glide mitre, Ridgid 13" planer, Rikon drill press, routers, drills, and other toys
oldiron
Gold Member

Post by oldiron »

Lance, Welcome to the forum and congratulations with your first SS! You're a lucky man to have a wife whom gave such a cool gift.....

One word of caution, the lathe mode can become extremely addicting!!! Enjoy your new toy and be safe!!!!!

Mike