Did I ever tell you about this basket that followed me home?

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Did I ever tell you about this basket that followed me home?

Post by reible »

While out on one of our walks we came upon this discarded wire basket. It looked in OK condition perhaps better after a little cleaning. I got it all cleaned up and while it had some wear and tear it sure seem to be in usable condition. Had to wonder why someone would part with it????
20170323_143212_resized.jpg
20170323_143212_resized.jpg (493.11 KiB) Viewed 5284 times
So today I'm deciding just where this prize is going to fit. Speaking of fit? Now that you mention it, there seems to be an issue. With one end lined up with the holes the other side seems to be right in the middle of the other set of holes! So what is up with that? Pegboard has 1" hole spacing but for some reason when this was made the holes are off or made for some other system.
20170323_142318_resized.jpg
20170323_142318_resized.jpg (387.2 KiB) Viewed 5284 times
I've never seen anything like this but I think I know why someone got rid of it. I guess I can drill a hole to accommodate the odd spacing or ????

Anyway a project for another day now.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Re: Did I ever tell you about this basket that followed me home?

Post by thunderbirdbat »

It may have been made for a metric measured storage system. I know that I have seen a storage unit that used a basket like that but was made in Europe so used metric spacing.
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

It looks like a paper feed catch tray for one of the older dot matrix printers that used 9½ x 11 perforated track fed paper.

They mounted the same as this basket, sliding into holes in the frame of the printer stand.

Everett
benush26
Platinum Member

Post by benush26 »

everettdavis wrote:It looks like a paper feed catch tray for one of the older dot matrix printers that used 9½ x 11 perforated track fed paper.

They mounted the same as this basket, sliding into holes in the frame of the printer stand.

Everett
Yep! Always caught the printout on the sides because the wide carriage paper fit too snugly.

Okidata I think? :confused:

Be well,
Ben
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

The basket is larger then it looks. It 24" side to side, 12" front to back and 4" deep.

The mounting hooks are 14-1/2" center line to center line (368mm) sort of an odd metric spacing if it is that.

I'm leaning on the side of either something specialized or a mess up when it was made. To wide for even a line printer.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

I was thinking it might have fallen off someones walker.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

reible wrote:The basket is larger then it looks. It 24" side to side, 12" front to back and 4" deep.

The mounting hooks are 14-1/2" center line to center line (368mm) sort of an odd metric spacing if it is that.

I'm leaning on the side of either something specialized or a mess up when it was made. To wide for even a line printer.

Ed

That does seem larger than necessary for even the ledger sized tractor fed paper which was 18" x 11" perforated, (17 x 11) after tractor feed perforations are torn off.

An interesting find for sure. Re-purposing it gives it new life for your use and that's what matters most.

Everett
camerio
Platinum Member

Post by camerio »

Maybe you could bend the wires slightly either to the inside or outside and then the would fit.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

camerio wrote:Maybe you could bend the wires slightly either to the inside or outside and then the would fit.
That would require two bends in each 'hook'. The ends need to be 'vertical' for insertion into peg board holes.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange