3D SketchUp of the "Under-the-Mark V" Accessory Cabinet

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Rickster
Bronze Member

Re: 3D SketchUp of the "Under-the-Mark V" Accessory Cabinet

Post by Rickster »

My current cabinet with fence hangers front and rear (fence on back one), two large drawers, four small sliding shelves, and storage on top. Here, the table is in its lowest position and with a 14” cabinet there is only 1/4” table tube clearance on each side.
Cabinet1.jpg
Cabinet1.jpg (45.09 KiB) Viewed 14544 times
Close-up of fence hanger and Allen wrench holder. After many trials, I found this is the best wrench location. One screw in the bottom holds it surprisingly tight. The middle hole lets sawdust drain. The fence hanger is currently a separate piece, but next time I will extend the cross piece 8” past the tube and cut a hanger notch. It needs to be high enough to keep the fence off the floor.
Cabinet2.jpg
Cabinet2.jpg (48.59 KiB) Viewed 14544 times
Close-up of cross piece and vertical combination. It is easier to roll off the back so I have wingnuts on back uprights. In an earlier version, uprights were part of the cabinet and the Shopsmith had to be lifted up and over them to install. Now I can remove crosspiece and top cabinet bolts, pivot both pieces out of the way, and roll the Shopsmith on and off. A second advantage is that by leveraging on the far tube, an easy push down on the crosspiece will lift a fully loaded cabinet up and into position.
Cabinet3.jpg
Cabinet3.jpg (48.75 KiB) Viewed 14544 times

Large drawer example with slots for disks and drums. There is a small cavity in back for spare sleeves and a small shelf at very top (not visible) for extra sandpaper. Design for main storage depends on what you want to store. Another option would be two long, sliding shelves. I found that stationary shelves were inefficient. Even with doors on the back, I didn’t use the back half of them. Trying to store a fence and miter gauge on shelves made them too hard to access.
Cabinet4.jpg
Cabinet4.jpg (49.57 KiB) Viewed 14544 times

My latest favorite addition is a guard holder at the back left. When installing the saw guard, I am already bent over the back and the guard is now right there. It is much easier to install and uninstall. Because it is easy, I use it more. I found my cuts are more accurate when I don’t need half of my attention on fingers.
Cabinet5.png
Cabinet5.png (256.94 KiB) Viewed 14544 times
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Very nice and very innovative!
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Asbrand
Gold Member

Post by Asbrand »

Giving me lots of ideas! Thanks!
-Az
JohnHoeger
Silver Member

Post by JohnHoeger »

Really good concepts. I especially like your holster for the upper guard.

John in San Bernardino
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

A lot of individual thinking there. Kudos!!!!

BTW I recommend ALWAYS paying attention to location of body parts.

Guards are NOT a replacement for intelligent self protection.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
JohnHoeger
Silver Member

Post by JohnHoeger »

Following an upgrade to a 520 table system, I am rehabilitating my Under the Mark V Cabinet. It is going slowly but progressing none the less. I believe I have finally decided on how to reorganize the two main pull-out shelves.

Here are the things that will live on the upper shelf:
Upper Shelf
Upper Shelf
20170413_154215.jpg (258.87 KiB) Viewed 14420 times
This will be the layout for the lower shelf:
Lower Shelf
Lower Shelf
20170413_161509.jpg (287.9 KiB) Viewed 14420 times
Now it is a matter of remaking the various mortises, posts, etc. to hold everything in place.

John H in San Bernardino
Asbrand
Gold Member

Post by Asbrand »

Well, I've been hard at work on the redesign. Started completely over from scratch. Ended up having to build a sketchup model of the two table saw blade arbors (couldn't find any online). See my other thread for those.

Not finished yet, but here's where I am so far:

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5997E62F

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=598297BD

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=59971CA2

I apologize for the URLs, instead of embedded pics...but they are rather large and in my FB album.
-Az
roopurt5
Gold Member

Post by roopurt5 »

I'm liking what I'm seeing! Can't wait to see the finished product!
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Looking real good. The saw blade and arbor that is stored on the end panel - will you be able to access it when the Shopsmith legs are there?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Asbrand
Gold Member

Post by Asbrand »

dusty wrote:Looking real good. The saw blade and arbor that is stored on the end panel - will you be able to access it when the Shopsmith legs are there?
Should be able to. Before I leave it there, I'll add the Shopsmith Mk. V model I have to it to make sure. But, I am fair certain you can.
-Az