Removal of drive and ring assembly and bearing

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

sjroark
Gold Member

Removal of drive and ring assembly and bearing

Post by sjroark »

Ok I don't want to purchase a new drive sleeve assembly but the bearings need to be replaced. I pulled the one off drive end easy with my bearing puller. Now before I mess something up what is the best way to pull off the drive and ring assembly along with the bearing behind it? I tried to using my bearing puller to pull the drive and ring assembly off but the part of the bearing puller that pushes against the drive sleeve assembly entered the drive and ring assembly where the quill shaft goes. I couldn't remove the drive and ring assembly that way. All I want to do is replace the bearings on the drive sleeve assembly and put it back in the headstock.

Thanks
rpd
Platinum Member

Re: Removal of drive and ring assembly and bearing

Post by rpd »

sjroark wrote:Ok I don't want to purchase a new drive sleeve assembly but the bearings need to be replaced. I pulled the one off drive end easy with my bearing puller. Now before I mess something up what is the best way to pull off the drive and ring assembly along with the bearing behind it? I tried to using my bearing puller to pull the drive and ring assembly off but the part of the bearing puller that pushes against the drive sleeve assembly entered the drive and ring assembly where the quill shaft goes. I couldn't remove the drive and ring assembly that way. All I want to do is replace the bearings on the drive sleeve assembly and put it back in the headstock.

Thanks
This is a link to the thread you want on rebuilding the drive sleeve for you Greenie. http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewt ... #post32871

It is part of a series that Mickyd did documenting rebuilding his 1955 Greenie. http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewt ... 634#p31634
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
sjroark
Gold Member

Post by sjroark »

Thanks but it is the Poly V drive.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

sjroark wrote:Ok I don't want to purchase a new drive sleeve assembly but the bearings need to be replaced. I pulled the one off drive end easy with my bearing puller. Now before I mess something up what is the best way to pull off the drive and ring assembly along with the bearing behind it? I tried to using my bearing puller to pull the drive and ring assembly off but the part of the bearing puller that pushes against the drive sleeve assembly entered the drive and ring assembly where the quill shaft goes. I couldn't remove the drive and ring assembly that way. All I want to do is replace the bearings on the drive sleeve assembly and put it back in the headstock.

Thanks
So block off the bore(add a centering dimple to the block if desired).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
sjroark
Gold Member

Post by sjroark »

Ok following you with that but the I removed the bearings but I still the plastic ring and drive assembly on the shaft. What is the easiest way to that with out breaking the plastic? When I go to reinstall the new bearings I would have press against the plastic ring and drive assembly on the opposite end.

Thanks
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

The plastic drive ring should have been removed before the bearings were removed. It is normally removed while the bearing is still in place by using a wide blade screwdriver between the bearing and the drive sleeve and twisting the screwdriver handle. At this point I would try to use the bearing puller behind the drive sleeve and press the drive sleeve off using a drift to push the shaft off the drive sleeve. The drive sleeve is only held on with a snap ring and once the snap ring is displaced from it's groove the drive sleeve can be easily pulled off.
Install the new bearings and then re-install the drive sleeve. Do not try to install the bearing by pressing on the plastic drive sleeve.
Bill V
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Yes! I assumed you had first removed the plastic coupling.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
sjroark
Gold Member

Post by sjroark »

Thanks I will give that a shot tomorrow night. I wasn't going to try to press the bearings on using the plastic sleeve it would never make it through in tact. Thanks again.
sjroark
Gold Member

Post by sjroark »

I figured everything out but that the plastic coupling is still on the shaft. I will try to get it off tomorrow night.

Thanks
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

That is a VERY stiff ring spring that you must overcome to get the nylon sleeve off the drive sleeve outer splines.

Prying from two sides will help prevent it from getting cocked.

A forked wedge would likely work better.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝