Motor bogging down

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

wa2crk
Platinum Member

Re: Motor bogging down

Post by wa2crk »

The SS with the D3300 on the same circuit is a NO/NO. Two induction motors on a 20 amp circuit is an overload.
Also, as JPG mentioned cord size and length is important. Personally, I never use any extension cord less than 12 gauge in the shop. I have some 25 ft and 50ft 12 gauge cords in the shop. I can run the Power Pro headstock and the DC3300 on a 20 amp circuit with no problem because the PP only draws a few amps in operation.
Bill V
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

wa2crk wrote:The SS with the D3300 on the same circuit is a NO/NO. Two induction motors on a 20 amp circuit is an overload.
Also, as JPG mentioned cord size and length is important. Personally, I never use any extension cord less than 12 gauge in the shop. I have some 25 ft and 50ft 12 gauge cords in the shop. I can run the Power Pro headstock and the DC3300 on a 20 amp circuit with no problem because the PP only draws a few amps in operation.
Bill V
PowerPro and the DC3300 on the same 20amp circuit MAYBE but he does not have a PowerPro.

Now I can use both my Mark V and the DC on the same circuit but I have to bring the Mark V up to speed and then turn on the DC. If I don't do that, it is a crap shot as to whether I have to walk all the way around the house to reset the breaker. The walk never used to bother me but these days I avoid doing that because of the rough terrain (rocks, cactus, etc) I have to negotiate.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
wrmnfzy
Platinum Member

Post by wrmnfzy »

Don't have anything to add to this other than a story I often repeat. Back in the 70s before I had a SS I had just bought a Craftsman RAS and had it in my garage. When starting it I kept blowing fuses. I called Sears and they sent out a "technician" after he blew several fuses he turned to me and said "you know electricity is a funny thing". After running him out of my house I eventually found out that it was that I had it plugged into an extension cord that was too long creating to much resistance.
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Dusty
I agree completely but I was trying to sell some Power Pro's :D
Bill V
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

wa2crk wrote:Dusty
I agree completely but I was trying to sell some Power Pro's :D
Bill V
Well, you make a very good point BUT his problem is not with a PowerPro. It is true that if he had a PowerPro he might not have his problem and that would be good.

I'm anxious to hear the results after he ditches that long extension cord and switches the DC to a different circuit. If there is still a problem then "there is a problem".
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
woodmeister
Gold Member

Post by woodmeister »

Thanks guys!! I will find out if the extension cord is the culprit or not next week. I have a power pro I have not even used so I know it is not it!! I purchased the 520 and power pro in almost mint condition and it is the holy grail so far. I do love my 510 and it is what I sold my friend and the DC3300 vac and will find out more on amperage drainage soon. I noticed how well the vac sucked up the saw dust extremely well. How can a person not love shop smith tools?
Thanks for all your input!!
Tom
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

woodmeister wrote:Thanks guys!! I will find out if the extension cord is the culprit or not next week. I have a power pro I have not even used so I know it is not it!! I purchased the 520 and power pro in almost mint condition and it is the holy grail so far. I do love my 510 and it is what I sold my friend and the DC3300 vac and will find out more on amperage drainage soon. I noticed how well the vac sucked up the saw dust extremely well. How can a person not love shop smith tools?
Thanks for all your input!!
Tom
Clarification please. This thread started with a discussion about the 510 blogging down but now you have a 520 with a PowerPro headstock and your friend has the 510.

Did the problem move to your friends shop or do you still have a problem?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
woodmeister
Gold Member

Post by woodmeister »

Sorry if I messed you guys up. It is the 510 bogging down. I sold it to him and a DC3300 vac. We operated in on the same line at the same time. I do have a 520 with a power pro head but it was not involved. He still has it and will check sap if the extension cord was the problem.
Thanks all