Holiday Catalog and NEW dust collector

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Re: Holiday Catalog and NEW dust collector

Post by dusty »

JPG wrote:Is a 'hurricane type' similar to a cyclone design? ;)

To me what is added is a wein separator.
Yes, cyclone is what I should have said.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
redleg
Gold Member

Post by redleg »

I ordered the DC330L on Thursday. Customer service said they will be receiving their order in about two weeks so maybe I'll have one by Xmas. I was told 600 cfm.
:D Mark 7 Power Pro, Mark V 510, Mark VII (early 1960s) Headstock wall mount drill press on Mark 5 way tubes, Mark 5 Shorty with reversible motor, Overhead Pin Router, Power station with band saw, Jointers, Belt Sanders, Strip Sander, Scroll saw, Jigsaw, Shopsmith Lathe Duplicator, Craftsman 2.5 hp 13" Planer/molder, Craftsman 5 hp 12-inch planer molder, myriad Shopsmith accessories, Harbor Freight sawmill with extensions to cut 22' logs.
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

redleg wrote:I ordered the DC330L on Thursday. Customer service said they will be receiving their order in about two weeks so maybe I'll have one by Xmas. I was told 600 cfm.
Interesting! You will the first we know of to get one, so be sure to post lots of pictures and a review!
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

A 'jpeg' or 'pdf' of the exploded view in the manual(assumption) would be very interesting. :cool: :) :) :)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Tiim2Relax
Silver Member

Post by Tiim2Relax »

Just wanted to say the Shopsmith always answers my emails....sometimes it takes a while, but I always get a response. I did receive an email confirming 600 CFM. Waiting to see the first review.
redleg
Gold Member

Post by redleg »

It's way past the two weeks I was told the day I ordered it. Still listed as out of stock on my order history. I've found a Delta and a Jet that look very similar when I googled dust collectors but waiting patiently for Shopsmith. I suppose Shopsmith won't answer my email to customer service.
:D Mark 7 Power Pro, Mark V 510, Mark VII (early 1960s) Headstock wall mount drill press on Mark 5 way tubes, Mark 5 Shorty with reversible motor, Overhead Pin Router, Power station with band saw, Jointers, Belt Sanders, Strip Sander, Scroll saw, Jigsaw, Shopsmith Lathe Duplicator, Craftsman 2.5 hp 13" Planer/molder, Craftsman 5 hp 12-inch planer molder, myriad Shopsmith accessories, Harbor Freight sawmill with extensions to cut 22' logs.
Tiim2Relax
Silver Member

Post by Tiim2Relax »

I ordered a DC330L on 12/28/2017. Shopsmith said February delivery.
redleg
Gold Member

Post by redleg »

I received my DC330L yesterday afternoon. I hope everyone is familiar with the realtor that says I have this cute house on Maple Street I would like you to buy. Read she couldn't unload it on anybody else. That's how I initially felt after putting together the new dust collector.

To be fair to Shopsmith though they know their market and have purchased a dust collector that will be very suitable for the person with one Shopsmith and a couple SPTs. It comes in two boxes. The main box proudly states Made in China. The second box has the instructions, three way adapter with plugs and the hose. The bag has the Shopsmith logo.
IMG_0095.JPG
IMG_0095.JPG (111.06 KiB) Viewed 13287 times
IMG_0096.JPG
IMG_0096.JPG (120.88 KiB) Viewed 13287 times
While the caster has a nut to hold it while tightening there is not room for my metric wrench to hold it.  I had to hold the outside of the caster with channel locks to install it.
While the caster has a nut to hold it while tightening there is not room for my metric wrench to hold it. I had to hold the outside of the caster with channel locks to install it.
IMG_0097.JPG (50.67 KiB) Viewed 13287 times
IMG_0098.JPG
IMG_0098.JPG (60.8 KiB) Viewed 13287 times
IMG_0099.JPG
IMG_0099.JPG (99.81 KiB) Viewed 13287 times
IMG_0101.JPG
IMG_0101.JPG (104.26 KiB) Viewed 13287 times
I have no means to check cfm but I tried picking up a scrap of wood with the DC3300, it did, and the DC330L would not pick up the same one.

Cons: The dust collector has a smaller collection bag at the bottom. Edit: Added bag sizes DC3300 30 gallon and DC330L 16 gallon.
There are no clips to hold the plastic bag up while installing the strap.
Really poor instructions. Missing six nuts and two washers. Of course they were metric so I had to get some standard bolts and nuts out of the shop to put it together.

Pros. Just under the Shopsmith adapter the inlet was divided to stop large items from getting into the vanes. May also be a con. A prior brand I had was built similarly and planer shavings would plug it up.
I haven't measured the footprint yet but it is more narrow.
Attachments
IMG_0103.JPG
IMG_0103.JPG (111.87 KiB) Viewed 13287 times
IMG_0104.JPG
IMG_0104.JPG (98.39 KiB) Viewed 13287 times
Last edited by redleg on Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Thank you for the review.

I think the ability to pick up an object has more to do with static pressure than CFM whereas efficient saw dust collection is more a function of CFM than static pressure. The engineers will correct me if I'm wrong.

The real world test that interests me is whether it is more effective at collecting saw dust when in the table saw mode than the old dust collector. Care to run some tests? Just set up a wide dado blade and cut a groove in a piece of stock with the old dust collector attached and take some photos of what ends up on the carriage. Then switch to the new collector and repeat.

Also, it looks like the new collector has a smaller hood. Is their anything in the literature that states the filter efficiency in terms of microns? The large hood on the old dust collector is rated down to 1 micron.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

redleg
Gold Member

Post by redleg »

Algale The DC3300 ad provides a short explanation about vacuum cleaners and static pressure versus cfm. I'll try to do your comparison this coming week and get to any other questions then. It's hard to be a dust collection salesperson when everyone says your product sucks.