2 Stage Drum Sander

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

t3steve
Silver Member

2 Stage Drum Sander

Post by t3steve »

I have been looking for a thickness planer/Drum sander for a while and not finding an affordable, good quality one.
Searching on the internet, I really like the Stumpy Nubs 2-Stage Drum Sander.

I bought the Stump Nubs Dual Stage Drum Sander Plans. I was thinking about modifying them to mount the sanding drum on the Shopsmith lathe.

Has anyone done this yet, any thoughts or advise?

Steve
sehast
Gold Member

Re: 2 Stage Drum Sander

Post by sehast »

I am not familiar with Stumpy's but here is one I built a couple of years ago. It works great.

http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/gener ... 18545.html
twistsol
Gold Member

Post by twistsol »

I blatantly ripped off sehast's idea and bulit the same thing with a 30" kit from Stockroom Supply. The two stage version from Stumpy looks like a nice upgrade but overkill for my needs. My only concern with it would be the amount of space you would have between the way tubes and the bottom of the sanding drum. You could increase this by adding a belt and pully but then your table top sander gets to be pretty high.

Mine can be seen here http://shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewtopic ... 96#p246296

Other than the concerns I noted, there is no reason a Shopsmith can't drive the sander and the weight of the unit is significantly reduced when you don't need to include a motor.
Thanks much,

Chris Phelps
Cheap tools are too expensive
2x Mark 5 520 and a 10ER
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

Check out Shipwright's SS specific thickness sander.
http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/gener ... t9382.html
t3steve
Silver Member

Post by t3steve »

What I like the most about this design is the feed conveyor belt. I would thing that a uniform feed rate would be very important for uniform sanding thickness
t3steve
Silver Member

Post by t3steve »

roy_okc
Platinum Member

Post by roy_okc »

@t3steve,

I purchased the same plans a couple weeks ago and have watched a bunch of Youtube videos of other folks' builds. I don't think I'd want it running on the Shopsmith due to the amount of effort that I believe would be involved in putting it on/taking it off. Now, if I wanted to make a dedicated sanding Shopsmith from a cheap Craigslist find, then perhaps it would make sense. I would bet that there is plenty of power to run that size drum sander, as I saw some people using under 1 HP motors.

I had two mods in mind for the Stumpy plans. The first was to add some sort of variable low speed conveyor belt motor. The second was to modify the height adjustment on the outfeed(?) from a single centered bolt to something on both sides that are tied together with a chain or timing belt so that there is no possibility for the bed to tilt as material moves through.

I saw that Grizzly sells some long sanding belts that could be used for this project's conveyor belt, think they were 79" or so.
Roy

Mark V/510, Mark V/500 with parts for 510 upgrade, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, DC3300 w/1 micron bag
Sawstop 3HP 36" PCS w/router table insert
Home designed and built CNC router, another CNC router :D desktop size
CNCed G0704 milling machine
Laser engraver
Way too much other stuff and not enough space :rolleyes:
t3steve
Silver Member

Post by t3steve »

Roy,
You have a point it would be difficult to quickly put on and off. I will look into powering it with the shopsmith accessory drive shaft and coupler.