New ShopSmith Owner!

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Re: New ShopSmith Owner!

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

csxeng wrote:After a few weeks of work I was able to pick a new color and clean her up a bit. There are a lot of accessories that need cleaning and polishing next. Two old relics!
She’s a beauty! You should definitely add her to the Gallery of Restorations thread.
csxeng
Gold Member

Post by csxeng »

I purchased another 10ER for parts and waiting to hear from the guy that sold it if he misplace the 4E jointer. That would be a nice option. If not, I will go hunting around. After this one is done I will use the other one for a stand alone drill press.
Dansmith
Gold Member

Post by Dansmith »

Great restore.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

csxeng wrote:I purchased another 10ER for parts and waiting to hear from the guy that sold it if he misplace the 4E jointer. That would be a nice option. If not, I will go hunting around. After this one is done I will use the other one for a stand alone drill press.
If not(i.e.he finds it) hope it has the mounting plate (intact).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
csxeng
Gold Member

Post by csxeng »

JPG wrote:
csxeng wrote:I purchased another 10ER for parts and waiting to hear from the guy that sold it if he misplace the 4E jointer. That would be a nice option. If not, I will go hunting around. After this one is done I will use the other one for a stand alone drill press.
If not(i.e.he finds it) hope it has the mounting plate (intact).
It's amazing how much crap :eek: (treasure) some people have in their garage. And then they take stuff off their machines and loose :( (misplace) them. It's like restoring a classic car. Keep the parts where they belong! :D
csxeng
Gold Member

Post by csxeng »

JPG wrote:
jsburger wrote:NICE!!!!!
+1

Whatcha gonna do with the headrest under it?
I'll be cleaning that headrest up for painting JPG. I have already polished the mounting shaft that goes to it. I'll be taking the motor shaft extension kit off the parts machine and clean them up as well. Also I've noticed that this parts machine has two ShopSmith round badges. One with the serial number and the other without. Hopefully the previous owner will get back to me about the 4E jointer. If not, I'm sure I'll find one along the way. I read that the Model 620 jointer would work as well having the SPT adapter.
Dave V.
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

Very nice.

Blue is my favorite colour, but for some reason I don't like most shades on machinery. Yours however is the exception. :cool:
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
csxeng
Gold Member

Post by csxeng »

rpd wrote:Very nice.

Blue is my favorite colour, but for some reason I don't like most shades on machinery. Yours however is the exception. :cool:
Thank you Ron for the compliment!
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Dave,
First of all great job on your Shopsmith.

The Model 620 Jointer will work with the Jointer Headrest mounting just like the Model 4E. The 620, but not the 620 C or later Jointers, has the mounting holes. With the SPT adapter any Shopsmith/Magna Jointer model will work along with other SPT's. Since the Model 4E Jointer was a later addition to the Model 10's there are not many of them and the Headrest attachment set ups out there so save the one you have and if you find you do not need it in the future get/sell it to someone who does need it. To be complete the 4E mount needs the Headrest, Mounting Bracket and Motor Pulley assembly. If you are using it with a Speed Changer the Pulley assembly is needed but if you are not using a Speed Changer you can use a 4 step pulley with 5", 4", 3" & 2" steps instead. See PDF below for more.
Jointer Mounting Kit 05-53.pdf
Model 4E mounting instructions
(539.68 KiB) Downloaded 2046 times
If you get the SPT adapters it also needs the longer mounting tubes for the Jointer only and special Pulley with the hub attached. These pulleys are very rare but you can get a newly machined one from Skip Campbell at mkctools.com. For more on the SPT mounting kit see the PDF below.
Power-Mount Adapter Kit 11-920 02-56.pdf
SPT mounting kit with A & B adapters
(327.47 KiB) Downloaded 2020 times
On the other Shopsmith you said
Also I've noticed that this parts machine has two ShopSmith round badges. One with the serial number and the other without.
What is the serial number on this machine? Can you post pictures of the two "badges" for us? Demo machines had a logo badge on the back of the headstock so customers could see it while watching the Shopsmith being demonstrated. None of the production Model 10E or 10ERs I have seen have an extra Logo/Serial Number Plate on them.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
csxeng
Gold Member

Re: New ShopSmith Owner! parts Machine.

Post by csxeng »

Russ,
Here are some pictures of the other machine I purchased that you requested. The serial number is ER9121. I will be using this machine as a stand alone drill press. This machine also has the shaft kit for the extension for the 4E jointer. I took pictures of both badges. Operators side and the other. Serial # is on the operators side.
Attachments
IMG_2411.JPG
IMG_2411.JPG (235.83 KiB) Viewed 20644 times
IMG_2412.JPG
IMG_2412.JPG (137.27 KiB) Viewed 20644 times
IMG_2413.JPG
IMG_2413.JPG (239.68 KiB) Viewed 20644 times
Last edited by csxeng on Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.