Any idea what this is?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

ScottyBox
Gold Member

Any idea what this is?

Post by ScottyBox »

Came out of the bandsaw after shipping here. Looks like a shim, not sure, and have no idea where it goes.
Thanks.
Scott
Attachments
IMG_3556.JPG
IMG_3556.JPG (82.4 KiB) Viewed 8456 times
IMG_3557.JPG
IMG_3557.JPG (91.64 KiB) Viewed 8456 times
Last edited by ScottyBox on Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
reible
Platinum Member

Re: Any idea what this is?

Post by reible »

Yep it is a shim but a bit bent up. It goes in by the rod you raise and lower so it should be in a parts list somewhere. If you haven't found it and no one else posts the answer I'll be back later and look it up for you.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
ScottyBox
Gold Member

Post by ScottyBox »

Hadn't been able to find it in the parts list or exploded view diagram. There's a lock spring listed but it shows the position is horizontal.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

There are two of them in the guide blocks assembly one on top which I think you indicated is where this one came from and another in the lower. They are normally hidden and you have to pull the bracket out to see them.

I'll be back where I can look them up later but they should be in the guide block area on the drawing.

Ed
Mike907
Platinum Member

Post by Mike907 »

reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

502575 Spring Blade Guide ... $3.95 Item 78

After looking at your pictures again on my computer I'm wondering if the thing I think it is might be wrong, the pictures make it look larger then these are???? But for now I have to say that is what the part looks like just not sure about the size.

Ed
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

The Guide Block Spring is only about 1/4" wide and 3/4" long. What you have looks like it is about a 1/2" wide, the right shape but larger. It may be a piece of metal that fell inside at some point. Check and see that the upper and lower Guide Block Springs are there. The end sticks out a little at the Guide Block Bracket shaft end, opposite the blade, so you see it and don't have to take it apart to check.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
ScottyBox
Gold Member

Post by ScottyBox »

you are correct, it's about 3 1/2" long and about 1" wide. I can measure it, but I didn't. The guide block springs are there.