segmenting jig

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

wa2crk
Platinum Member

Re: segmenting jig

Post by wa2crk »

I used 1/4 20 carriage bolts for the slots. They move OK and do not drag or hang up. For the larger slot the designer said to use a 5/8 router bit which I don't have so I was going to a 3/4 which I thought might be too wide so I opted for the 23/32 plywood dado bit which worked out fine. It might have provided the extra clearance needed to prevent drag. I will try to take a pic tomorrow. I also slightly modified the upper saw guard by removing the anti kick back pawls so the the guard can be used with the sled. The pawls can be reinstalled using a #6 screw and nut.
I am a little squeamish about using the sled and getting my fingers too close to the blade.
Bill V
BobCoates1953
Gold Member

Post by BobCoates1953 »

I am a little squeamish about using the sled and getting my fingers too close to the blade.
That is why I used the HF hold downs.
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Here are a couple of pics of the jig that I use. I have some small toggle clamps that will be added soon. probably today. I turned the knobs and put some 1/4 20 connector bolts that are about 2" long which I got at Rural King store. They stiffened the knobs so that they can actually be used as handles.
segment sled 1.jpg
segment sled 1.jpg (33.29 KiB) Viewed 6213 times
segment sled 2.jpg
segment sled 2.jpg (31.12 KiB) Viewed 6213 times
Bill V
tenbears
Gold Member

Post by tenbears »

Try commercial double sided carpet tape. Hot cold damp. Does leave a residue though but cleans up with 3M adhesive remover. Not sure what the material is on the bottom of my Festool 1400 but I always have a tough time taking the tape apart.
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

tenbears wrote:Try commercial double sided carpet tape. Hot cold damp. Does leave a residue though but cleans up with 3M adhesive remover. Not sure what the material is on the bottom of my Festool 1400 but I always have a tough time taking the tape apart.
I have used this desigh of a sled for a few years now. What purpose would the carpet tape serve?
Chris Neilan

Shopsmith Mark 7, Shopsmith Mark V 1982, shortened, Shopsmith 10 ER; Craftsman table saw (1964); Powermatic 3520B lathe