V-belt replacement

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderator: admin

User avatar
jsburger
Platinum Member
Posts: 5273
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:06 pm
Location: Hooper, UT

Re: V-belt replacement

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote:
BuckeyeDennis wrote:
JPG wrote:... I do not like things I do not completely understand.
Then I must assume that you don't like women! :D
Touche!

In that case it is a part time thingie. :D
You just have to understand the one you like. :eek: :D
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
User avatar
JPG
Platinum Member
Posts: 31310
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:42 pm
Location: Lexington, Ky (WILDCAT territory)

Re: V-belt replacement

Post by JPG »

jsburger wrote:
JPG wrote:
BuckeyeDennis wrote:
Then I must assume that you don't like women! :D
Touche!

In that case it is a part time thingie. :D
You just have to understand the one you like. :eek: :D


Like I said, part time. 49 years and counting so far! :D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
roneg
Gold Member
Posts: 101
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:01 am

Re: V-belt replacement

Post by roneg »

JPG wrote:Take another showing the idler sheave and back towards the rear end of the idler shaft. Should show idler sheave, gilmer pulley/belt and casting with retaining clips.

I notice a couple of things(not necessarily related to belt problem).

The casting is fractured and apparently a piece is resting on the quill in the first pix.

The seal material from the idler bearing is coming loose?
No JPG there is no fracture it is deceiving. I think because this is one of the original sand castings the area is just naturally rough. Also, no not a idler bearing coming apart..again deceiving. That is a flat piece of steel that goes from the nut to the top if the idler shaft eccentric bearing
"The older I get..The better I was"
User avatar
jsburger
Platinum Member
Posts: 5273
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:06 pm
Location: Hooper, UT

Re: V-belt replacement

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote:
jsburger wrote:
JPG wrote:
Touche!

In that case it is a part time thingie. :D
You just have to understand the one you like. :eek: :D


Like I said, part time. 49 years and counting so far! :D
:D :D :D :D :D :D
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
User avatar
JPG
Platinum Member
Posts: 31310
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:42 pm
Location: Lexington, Ky (WILDCAT territory)

Re: V-belt replacement

Post by JPG »

roneg wrote:
JPG wrote:Take another showing the idler sheave and back towards the rear end of the idler shaft. Should show idler sheave, gilmer pulley/belt and casting with retaining clips.

I notice a couple of things(not necessarily related to belt problem).

The casting is fractured and apparently a piece is resting on the quill in the first pix.

The seal material from the idler bearing is coming loose?
No JPG there is no fracture it is deceiving. I think because this is one of the original sand castings the area is just naturally rough. Also, no not a idler bearing coming apart..again deceiving. That is a flat piece of steel that goes from the nut to the top if the idler shaft eccentric bearing
Sheez I should have recognized those two clips. :o

It looked like a loose piece was laying on the quill - camera angle!

So that is all good news.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
roneg
Gold Member
Posts: 101
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:01 am

Re: V-belt replacement

Post by roneg »

Better news. It is all back together and running fine...so far😁 New power cord, new main belt, new re-built control knob. Because I stripped the cheesy aluminum gear on the old one!. Lastly new on/off switch. Oh..all new belt cover,motor pan, and motor mount screws. All I can say is who ever designed these greenies must of had needle nose hands! Long ones!🙁
"The older I get..The better I was"
roneg
Gold Member
Posts: 101
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:01 am

Re: V-belt replacement

Post by roneg »

roneg wrote:Better news. It is all back together and running fine...so far😁 New power cord, new main belt, new re-built control knob. Because I stripped the cheesy aluminum gear on the old one!. Lastly new on/off switch. Oh..all new belt cover,motor pan, and motor mount screws. All I can say is who ever designed these greenies must of had needle nose hands! Long ones!🙁
"The older I get..The better I was"
User avatar
JPG
Platinum Member
Posts: 31310
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:42 pm
Location: Lexington, Ky (WILDCAT territory)

Re: V-belt replacement

Post by JPG »

roneg wrote:Better news. It is all back together and running fine...so far😁 New power cord, new main belt, new re-built control knob. Because I stripped the cheesy aluminum gear on the old one!. Lastly new on/off switch. Oh..all new belt cover,motor pan, and motor mount screws. All I can say is who ever designed these greenies must of had needle nose hands! Long ones!🙁
Great news!!!!!!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
roneg
Gold Member
Posts: 101
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:01 am

Re: V-belt replacement

Post by roneg »

I might need to set the high speed stop again that is all no biggie. After putting on, and taking off the knob on the the control assembley a hundred times! It must have got changed somehow. As it will run to slow but doesn't seem to run to as fast as it was when I set the high speed stop screw.
"The older I get..The better I was"
User avatar
JPG
Platinum Member
Posts: 31310
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:42 pm
Location: Lexington, Ky (WILDCAT territory)

Re: V-belt replacement

Post by JPG »

The 'slow' limit is when the control sheave bottoms out against the idler sheave(idler pulley fully closed and the belt riding highest).

The high speed stop establishes the 'fast' limit. The limit prevents the control sheave interfering with the speed control frame.

The indicator ring merely goes along for the ride as the control knob is rotated. i.e. it indicates knob rotation rather than the actual speed.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Post Reply