Harry Potter Wands

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

rpd
Platinum Member

Harry Potter Wands

Post by rpd »

This long weekend's (Monday was Canadian Thanksgiving) project was some Harry Potter wands for my grand daughter.
HPwands.jpg
HPwands.jpg (1.5 MiB) Viewed 9358 times
HPwands.jpg
HPwands.jpg (1.5 MiB) Viewed 9358 times
The big one is made from apple branch's, shaped with the bandsaw and disk sander.

The handles on the other two are made from torrefied maple that I got from Lee Valley, they use it for plane handles and were selling some of the scrap pieces.

The wand part on those two are a chop stick and a piece of 1/4" dowel.

To drill the ends of the handle blanks, I used a Craftsman Universal Table Saw Jig that I picked up a while ago, (similar to the SS Tenon Master Jig).
Universal Jig.jpg
Universal Jig.jpg (1.05 MiB) Viewed 9358 times

It fits the miter slots in the 10ER table perfectly. This will work well for drilling and truing the ends of pen blanks. :)
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
moggymatt
Platinum Member

Re: Harry Potter Wands

Post by moggymatt »

Awsome, the kids really enjoy those wands.

How are you clamping the jig down to the SS table?
Paul B
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

moggymatt wrote:Awsome, the kids really enjoy those wands.

How are you clamping the jig down to the SS table?
The Universal Jig is quite heavy, and the miter bar is a close fit to the 10ER miter slot, so I just held it in place by hand. :)
Ron Dyck
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
STB
Gold Member

Post by STB »

Thank you for the inspiration.
Our local carving group has a display case at the local Senior Center where we donate carved items. The carvings are sold by the Senior Center staff and the proceeds support the Meal on Wheels program. They deliver about 40 meals a day in our area. It's my understanding they are short about $2.00 per meal. So every bit helps.
I saw your Harry Potter wands and thought this would be a quick fun project to donate. I drilled out the handle and inserted a Phoenix feather or maybe it was a pigeon feather I found in the driveway. I also made presentation boxes and display stand,
Wizard Wand 1.jpg
Wizard Wand 1.jpg (261.08 KiB) Viewed 8078 times
wizard Wand 2.jpg
wizard Wand 2.jpg (293.1 KiB) Viewed 8078 times
Glenn
I create problem solving challenges and opportunities for design modification, not mistakes.

SS 520 born 04/16/03, Power Station mounted Band saw , Scroll saw, Jointer, Belt sander, Overarm router, dedicated Mark V drill press, SS Maxi-clamp system, Shopsmith woodworking bench
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

STB wrote:Thank you for the inspiration.
Our local carving group has a display case at the local Senior Center where we donate carved items. The carvings are sold by the Senior Center staff and the proceeds support the Meal on Wheels program. They deliver about 40 meals a day in our area. It's my understanding they are short about $2.00 per meal. So every bit helps.
I saw your Harry Potter wands and thought this would be a quick fun project to donate. I drilled out the handle and inserted a Phoenix feather or maybe it was a pigeon feather I found in the driveway. I also made presentation boxes and display stand,
Wow. Great work for a great cause. :cool: I hope they are pricing them appropriately. :)
Ron Dyck