MK VII control sheave bearing temp monitoring

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

lahola1
Gold Member

MK VII control sheave bearing temp monitoring

Post by lahola1 »

As most SS people know by now the weak link in the MK VII is the plastic speed adjusting cam melting caused by the control sheave bearing overheating/siezing up.
I think I have a fairly easy and inexpensive way to monitor the bearing temp while it's running.

Thru the back inspection cover hole I drilled and tapped a 6-32 hole in the side of the cam follower (pic 1).

Then I took a length of type K thermocouple wire; twisted the ends together.

I took a short 6-32 screw, flat washer and lock washer; screwed it in the threaded hole in the cam follower; put the bear end of the thermocouple wire under the screw and washer and locked it down.

Now with my type K digital pyrometer I can monitor the temp of the cam follower and bearing (my LCD display doesn't work too good anymore but I can still decypher reading)see pics.

I ran the ss for about 7-8 minutes; the temp went from 74 deg to 87 deg.

With this method you can monitor the temp as you work;find out what the normal operating temp is; and if it goes above that you know to lube or replace the bearing before catistrophic failier.

I found several thermocouple meters with a thermocouple wire for under $15.00 online.

I just set mine up for experimentation. If I wanted pretty it up I would drill a 3/16" hole in the back headstock cover to feed the thermocouple wire thru; leave some slack in the wire to allow control sheave movement and mount the monitor out front somewhere.

I hope my pics come across ok. I haven't tried this before.
Attachments
tc1.jpg
tc1.jpg (313.85 KiB) Viewed 10670 times
tc2.jpg
tc2.jpg (147.19 KiB) Viewed 10670 times
tc3.jpg
tc3.jpg (301.63 KiB) Viewed 10670 times
tc5.jpg
tc5.jpg (354.73 KiB) Viewed 10670 times
2017-09-26 113639.jpg
2017-09-26 113639.jpg (153.82 KiB) Viewed 10670 times
tc6.jpg
tc6.jpg (233.26 KiB) Viewed 10670 times
SS Mark VII(sn 405025), SSband saw, SS 4" jointer, Older SS Mark V w/DC treadmill motor,
Smithy SuperShop 720, Powerkraft RAS,Craftsman RAS, Ridgid TS2412 Table Saw,
Delta 12" planer
Dlawrencej
Bronze Member

Re: MK VII control sheave bearing temp monitoring

Post by Dlawrencej »

:) that's a great idea I'm a new member to shopsmith I inherited a mark vii from my grandfather he bought new in 1964 and has taken very good care. I've completely gone thru and cleaned and serviced everything luckily my son in law is a machinist and when I came across that part and found it couldn't be replaced he made one exactly the same but in aluminum so far no problems just wanted to say your idea is great because your done if it melts.
lahola1
Gold Member

Post by lahola1 »

I started this thread a couple years ago now I got some projects going where I could get some time on my mk VII and get some temp numbers.
Nothing scientific, just temps over time.
Doing lathe work mostly steady with a few short stops; temps were about 107 deg in 30 minutes and about 115 deg in about 45 minutes.
Another day I was running the jointer mostly for about the same time and temps were about the same.
This is interesting info. I don't know what the max temp would be but it wouldn't be over 400 deg ( which is what it would have to be in order to melt the nylon plastic the cam is made of) unless the oil in the speed control bearing burnt off and seized up. I don't know, maybe the oil could burn off after running steady for 2 hours at medium speed.

I worked with thermocouples in the plastic industry for nearly 40 years. If you want more info on them, let me know.
SS Mark VII(sn 405025), SSband saw, SS 4" jointer, Older SS Mark V w/DC treadmill motor,
Delta 12" planer
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Well that explains the yellow coil cord! :cool:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
StevenAyres
Gold Member

Post by StevenAyres »

This setup offers a good opportunity to do some science on this issue. Testing temps on the same operation before and after shaft lubrication, for example, could help confirm whether the problem is more with the plastic part or with poor lubrication.

I've done some temp-testing during operations on my VII using an infrared thermometer, and haven't seen anything like high enough temps to show risk of melting anything. That's not as reliable as the thermocouple, I expect.

How do you calibrate the thermocouple, by the way?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

StevenAyres wrote:This setup offers a good opportunity to do some science on this issue. Testing temps on the same operation before and after shaft lubrication, for example, could help confirm whether the problem is more with the plastic part or with poor lubrication.

I've done some temp-testing during operations on my VII using an infrared thermometer, and haven't seen anything like high enough temps to show risk of melting anything. That's not as reliable as the thermocouple, I expect.

How do you calibrate the thermocouple, by the way?
One does not 'calibrate' a thermocouple. The thingie it is attached to maybe. ;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Some where here I have some rolls of wire and some bricks with serial output, and maybe the floppy disks with dos software to log. I guess that is pretty much useless now. I also might still have a plug-in from Fluke to a multi-meter.... but almost as useless since the display on the meter fail years ago.

I have never seen a melted cam so if anyone has one it would be interesting to see just how it failed. I had thought there was a bearing like on the other shopsmiths that would fail and that would cause the cam issue, but I haven't felt the need to keep to much in touch with this issue since I don't have one to worry about.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
lahola1
Gold Member

Post by lahola1 »

The main problem with an infrared gun is the smallest temp area it can see is about 1" diameter and the farther you are away from the subject, the bigger diameter it reads, so you are getting an average temp of all "things" it sees it that diameter.

Correct; you don't caliberate a thermocouple wire. It is just a length of two dissimmilar metal wires sending a millivolt signal to a pyrometer that converts that signal to a temp (F or C) that we can easily understand. A type J thermocouple is Iron and constentan. Pyrometers are set at the factory and generally aren't changed unless your manual tells you how.
You can check it with a bowl of ice water and boiling water ( adjust for altitude) to confirm it is fairly accurate.

Plastic cam; this is the only pic I have of a damaged plastic cam. It is so damaged it's hard to tell if it is melted or smashed. I think it melted from a seized bearing and someone tried force it with the speed control in its melted state.

StevenAyres; I may do some more accurate testing in the future. I think for now I feel safe to lube regularly, in vertical position to be sure the oil soaks into the bearing and let it rest for a while after running an hour. I wouldn't run it over an hour unless I was temp testing.
Attachments
Mark VII - Melted CAM.jpg
Mark VII - Melted CAM.jpg (94.17 KiB) Viewed 8739 times
Delta 12" planer
redleg
Gold Member

Post by redleg »

Here is a Mark VII cam from a unit I bought for parts a few years ago. The bearing had overheated and melted the cam in several spots. I filled the voids with hot glue to use it as a pattern.
IMG_0419.JPG
IMG_0419.JPG (62.55 KiB) Viewed 8132 times
Attachments
IMG_0420.JPG
IMG_0420.JPG (65.68 KiB) Viewed 8132 times
:D Mark 7 Power Pro, Mark V 510, Mark VII (early 1960s) Headstock wall mount drill press on Mark 5 way tubes, Mark 5 Shorty with reversible motor, Overhead Pin Router, Power station with band saw, Jointers, Belt Sanders, Strip Sander, Scroll saw, Jigsaw, Shopsmith Lathe Duplicator, Craftsman 2.5 hp 13" Planer/molder, Craftsman 5 hp 12-inch planer molder, myriad Shopsmith accessories, Harbor Freight sawmill with extensions to cut 22' logs.