Parts inquiry

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: Parts inquiry

Post by jsburger »

chapmanruss wrote:As I said in the last line the Shopsmith Tips are my opinion and that includes the coupler acting like a shear Pin. I cannot say for a fact that I have read that exact statement somewhere. I base that on things I have learned about the Shopsmith and the hub design with rather small indents for the Coupler to grab. That, as a design, I feel was more important with the early Mark 5's that had the Gilmer Belt Drive and no clutch. It is not going to break in half but rather "slip" (notice that I put that in quotes as a description) on the hubs. And, as you said, they call it "virtually unbreakable" but not unbreakable. My main emphasis is for users to have the OEM coupler with the safety feature Shopsmith does mention which is having the spring to prevent it from accidently being left on the headstock. Lastly I like to support Shopsmith as a source for parts, tools and accessories. I regularly recommend buying items from Shopsmith as opposed to buying used. Supporting Shopsmith keeps the company in business as our source for Shopsmith tools, accessories and parts. Without them we would have to buy everything used.
1. Did not the early MK5's have a metal and rubber coupler. Even after the Gilmer clutch? That is certainly not a shear device. I have never seen one so I may be missing something.

2. Totally agree. A good design and a safety feature.

3. Totally agree.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Parts inquiry

Post by JPG »

Assuming the shafts are well aligned, a 'lovejoy' connector would work in a 'pinch'.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange