Conical Sanding Disc

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

shoedo
Gold Member

Conical Sanding Disc

Post by shoedo »

I am considering the purchase of a used conical sanding disc. What questions should I ask if any regarding the condition of the disc? I have no experience using the Shopsmith sanding discs to date but know that I'll need a conical sanding disc if I intend to use the planer and jointer blade sharpener. Do these disc get banged up during operation? Thanks in advance and stay safe!
reible
Platinum Member

Re: Conical Sanding Disc

Post by reible »

I would not expect a disk to get banged up but there are some who might abuse them and have caused some damage.... The other issue might be how they removed the sandpaper and leftover bits and adhesive. If they did something like dump gas on it and set it on fire (yes this has happened) then the finish could be ruined as well as it could be warped.

Safe bet is to order from shopsmith or be willing to deal with issues if they happen to arise on the open market.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
shoedo
Gold Member

Post by shoedo »

Thanks for your input!
shoedo
Gold Member

Post by shoedo »

For those of you that use the Shopsmith sanding discs, what is an effective and easy way to remove the paper?
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

shoedo wrote:For those of you that use the Shopsmith sanding discs, what is an effective and easy way to remove the paper?
Warm it up to soften the adhesive. :) Hot sun, hair dryer, heat gun, low oven, etc
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
mindpilot
Gold Member

Post by mindpilot »

I heard a story that some one put a disk in the oven and ran the self-clean cycle or something. But gas & a match...I'd pay to see that!

Did they at least pull it off the headstock first?