Pie Boxes

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Pie Boxes

Post by thunderbirdbat »

I found the time to finally complete the pie boxes that were requested. Why do I feel like I will be making more soon? My mother in law already said she regretted asking for just 4. Just stained poplar or aspen with a couple coats of poly.
finish complete
finish complete
20201010_132045_opt.jpg (104.57 KiB) Viewed 2612 times
Attachments
half the completed boxes
half the completed boxes
20201013_113737_opt.jpg (101.47 KiB) Viewed 2612 times
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
dusty
Platinum Member

Re: Pie Boxes

Post by dusty »

It looks as though you have MASTERED box joints. Nice work. However, please explain "pie box". Are they really intended to contain pies?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

dusty wrote:It looks as though you have MASTERED box joints. Nice work. However, please explain "pie box". Are they really intended to contain pies?
Yes Dusty, they are used to transport a pie in. They could be made deeper but I dislike meringue so did not take a high meringue topping into consideration when I originally designed these. My mother in law uses hers to take a pie to the after church luncheons and my husband uses his for work gatherings. They are sized to fit the majority of pie dishes or at least the ones my husband has. You could use them for any number of other uses. I have used them for 9 x 9 pans of cakes and brownies as well. These were a request for some who had seen the ones I made a few years ago and wanted one. Since I needed to purchase a full sheet of plywood for the tops and bottoms, I made enough to use the full sheet. There were also enough people who wanted one or more to justify making that many.
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
mountainbreeze
Platinum Member

Post by mountainbreeze »

Cool! Is there anything inside that keeps the pie from sliding around?
john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

[b]Nice Job![/b]

I also am a fan of the box joints.

John
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

mountainbreeze wrote:Cool! Is there anything inside that keeps the pie from sliding around?
No there is not in these. It was suggested that I not make spacers as it was just easier to use a tea towel or paper to fill the space. I made spacers when I first made the boxes in 2015 ( :confused: ) but the conclusion is that the spacers only work with specific pie dishes. There are a lot of different sizes for pie dishes. Some outside dimensions vary only by an 1/8" while others by whole inches and are still the same size of pie dish. The top of the pie opening is the measurement used for the pie dish size. My husband has one 9" pie pan that the outside dimensions are only 9 1/4" and a different one that the outside dimensions are 11 1/8". :eek: That is only the 9" dishes, and as there are 8", 6", 4" and smaller common sizes of pie dishes. :rolleyes: Anything I make will only work with some of them.
Brenda

1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

A great item! Sadly I am restricted from enjoying whats contained inside :)

I've never seen a pie box before.

b
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

Would be a nice way to celebrate Pi Day on 3/14!
BPR