decisions decisions

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

decisions decisions

Post by Hobbyman2 »

To make a long story a little shorter My sister had a 200+ year old silver maple tree cut down as it was starting to create a safety issue over her house , naturally I suggested taking it to the saw mill since it was still surprisingly solid in the middle :) , the tree is some 4 ft across and 9 ft long , the issue that comes to mind is what to make that will last another 100 years ? I have been wanting to build a work bench for several years , I also have a few other projects that might be worth doing , If I do the work bench, the legs will be 8x8 and the solid top will be 30 inches wide and 5 inches thick with a 14 inch tool tray, a face vise and a tail vise and bench dogs , and a storage shelf underneath . but at my age I don't think I could move it around as needed in the garage . so ,maybe a few tables would be a better option along with a set of matching chairs . any suggestions would be welcome , it should be cut up in the next three weeks or so depending on the weather and the mill , than it will take a while to dry and cure out . coming from a tree that has stood this long preserving it for another 100 years will be a honor .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: decisions decisions

Post by RFGuy »

IF you decide to go with workbench, do you have a local kiln that can dry them? I saw Andy Klein recently make a workbench for Adam Savage (of Mythbusters fame) out of 6" thick timbers. After drying and cleanup, it yields a 5" thick workbench top. I think a vacuum kiln was used to dry it faster and minimize checking, but not sure. Not trying to talk you into the workbench idea, but I just found it interesting to make a thick, beefy workbench top like this out of a solid piece of timber (without noticeable cracking and checking) rather than laminating it.

As far as mobility, I would recommend casters. I have converted some fixed cabinets in my shop with high quality locking casters. Once locked, I haven't had any movement and so far no amount of hammering above on the cabinet has affected the casters operation so far as I can tell. I know "traditional" workbench design is a fixed bench, but honestly I see no reason why high quality casters can't be used permanently in the base for it, though some prefer flip-down, temporary casters instead. Just a thought...

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOgx3OtkYtg[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlO9pmrChVM[/youtube]
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
jmoore65
Gold Member

Post by jmoore65 »

Lost Art Press has a free book on workbench building. It includes advice on materials and moisrue content considerations. Theyve built quite a few "wet" benchs as well as dry wood benches.

Jim
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

RFGuy wrote:IF you decide to go with workbench, do you have a local kiln that can dry them? I saw Andy Klein recently make a workbench for Adam Savage (of Mythbusters fame) out of 6" thick timbers. After drying and cleanup, it yields a 5" thick workbench top. I think a vacuum kiln was used to dry it faster and minimize checking, but not sure. Not trying to talk you into the workbench idea, but I just found it interesting to make a thick, beefy workbench top like this out of a solid piece of timber (without noticeable cracking and checking) rather than laminating it.

As far as mobility, I would recommend casters. I have converted some fixed cabinets in my shop with high quality locking casters. Once locked, I haven't had any movement and so far no amount of hammering above on the cabinet has affected the casters operation so far as I can tell. I know "traditional" workbench design is a fixed bench, but honestly I see no reason why high quality casters can't be used permanently in the base for it, though some prefer flip-down, temporary casters instead. Just a thought...

I believe I seen a build on that bench or one like it !! thanks
Last edited by Hobbyman2 on Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

jmoore65 wrote:Lost Art Press has a free book on workbench building. It includes advice on materials and moisrue content considerations. Theyve built quite a few "wet" benchs as well as dry wood benches.

Jim
Thanks I will try to check it out !! There is a commercial kiln not too far away but I have never used them ,I have all ways just air dried , a kiln may be a better option I will check into it . thanks again.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Hobbyman2 wrote:
RFGuy wrote:IF you decide to go with workbench, do you have a local kiln that can dry them? I saw Andy Klein recently make a workbench for Adam Savage (of Mythbusters fame) out of 6" thick timbers. After drying and cleanup, it yields a 5" thick workbench top. I think a vacuum kiln was used to dry it faster and minimize checking, but not sure. Not trying to talk you into the workbench idea, but I just found it interesting to make a thick, beefy workbench top like this out of a solid piece of timber (without noticeable cracking and checking) rather than laminating it.

I believe I seen a build on that bench or one like it !! thanks
Those slabs came from Matt Cremona in Minnesota. They were dried in a vacuum kiln. He talks about them in the below video starting about 6:10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OdsCDbiYII
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Thanks jsburger , those boards look really heavy ! I did see a video of some very strong casters .
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

The drying process begins , first step was unloading the lumber and painting the ends of the boards. I checked for a local kiln and haven't found one yet, for now it looks like they are in their new forever home , we will see how long they take to dry .next summer I will cut the 8' 6x6 into shorter pieces .