Live Center bearing

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

beeg
Platinum Member

Live Center bearing

Post by beeg »

My Live Center bearing is pulling out of the housing. Should I use JB Weld to keep it in the housing?
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
james.miller
Gold Member

Post by james.miller »

If you use JB Weld you won't be able to replace the bearing when it goes out.
Jim in Tucson
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Do not weld it in place!!!!!! Normal pressure when lathe turning will keep it inplace.
billmayo
Platinum Member

Live Center bearing

Post by billmayo »

beeg wrote:My Live Center bearing is pulling out of the housing. Should I use JB Weld to keep it in the housing?
I use LocTite Red for permanent holding. The item can be removed with a lot of pressure. I use LocTite Blue for set screws, nuts, screws and items that I may want to remove some day. Loctite makes many different products for holding metal items together. LocTite make a bearing holding/retaining product too.
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Thanks Bill, I'll have to look for the loctite blue or the bearing holding product.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
dicksterp
Gold Member

Post by dicksterp »

beeg wrote:Thanks Bill, I'll have to look for the loctite blue or the bearing holding product.

The loctite blue is the threadlocker and the numbers are 222 and 242, with 242 being a little stronger. Do not use around lexan as it will attack and weaken it.
Dick

SS equipment. '89 510 (upgrade to 520), beltsander, pro planer, SS dust collector, 2 bandsaws, jointer, strip sander (production unit #1), OPR, scroll saw, Power Station, Incra TSIII Ultra Fence System& Wonder Fence plus (2) 50 year old DeWalt RASs and Incra miter express with miter gauge