Model 500 Saw Guard Upgrade

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

judebak
Silver Member

Model 500 Saw Guard Upgrade

Post by judebak »

Hello,
I just purchased a model 500 saw guard system upgrade (part number 505875). In the box there is a template of some sort - looks like it might go on the posts of the main table - but there were no instructions on what to do with it. Does anyone have or know where I might find the installation instructions for this upgrade? I did call Shopsmith but they said they did not have the instructions anymore and only offered to set me up with an engineer call to walk me through the installation.
Thanks for your help.
br549
Platinum Member

Re: Model 500 Saw Guard Upgrade

Post by br549 »

I think the attached PDF may be what you need. I copied it from a prior discussion about model 500 saw guards. If this does not help, you might try searching using the keyword 505875, or saw guard. You may have to wade through a lot of posts to find what you need. I am not sure, but it sounds like the part may be the mounting block that holds the upper clear plastic saw guard. I've attached pictures of the mounting block. I installed one on my 500 just using the instructions that I found (no template). Or, the template may be for installing the shield (which I do not have) to the tie bar. Pictures of what you have would help us better understand what you need.
Attachments
MARK V LOWER SAW GUARD RETROfit Kit 555294.pdf
(2.1 MiB) Downloaded 266 times
Mounting Block Front.jpg
Mounting Block Front.jpg (10.6 KiB) Viewed 1368 times
Mounting Block Back.jpg
Mounting Block Back.jpg (10.19 KiB) Viewed 1368 times
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: Model 500 Saw Guard Upgrade

Post by chapmanruss »

The link br549 gave above is for the installation instructions for the upgrade from the original 505875 Saw Guard System with a single 1-1/4" dust port to the double 2-1/2" dust ports.

Is it the Mounting Block for the Upper Blade Guard you need to install and have a template for? If so, the upgrade only changes the lower guard. The extra pages of the instructions cover installing the upper guard mounting block but does not include drawings for reference. Sorry the only instruction manual I have assumes the mounting block came from the factory already installed on the table assembly. To mount the block it needs to be positioned straddling over the top of the post and bottom edge of the Tie Bar. Holes to mount it need to be drilled and tapped for the mounting screws as per the instructions.

Or is it just the upgrade from the 1-1/4" single dust port to the two 2-1/2" dust ports for the the Saw Guard system you are doing? If so, you may have to cut off a section of the Tie Bar Boss as shown in the instructions linked above for the Tie Bar Shield depending on when your Shopsmith was made. There is a template for that cut. The cut is needed for the shield to have clearance to the Tie Bar Boss.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.