Jointer issues

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

droughton
Silver Member

Jointer issues

Post by droughton »

I started cleaning the jointer that came with the Shopsmith I purchased a few weeks back. The fence is sitting up off the jointer table and is not correctly aligned. I hope the fence is not out of square. I know the quadrant assembly will need to be replaced. Also, the previous owner has really tightened down the fence on the bar. How can I tell if the fence is not square??
Attachments
Alignment of fence on table
Alignment of fence on table
IMG_2231.JPG (53.71 KiB) Viewed 1316 times
Side of quadrant
Side of quadrant
IMG_2232.JPG (39.89 KiB) Viewed 1316 times
Indentions on Bar
Indentions on Bar
IMG_2233.JPG (37.93 KiB) Viewed 1316 times
DLB
Platinum Member

Re: Jointer issues

Post by DLB »

The angle you are measuring in the first pic is not critical, but you are measuring considerably more error than I think is typical. Trunnion, maybe? More important that the fence be perpendicular to the tables over its entire length when set to 0 degrees. Check the fence face for a crack near that corner where it mounts to the trunnion.

Sometimes trunnions can be bent back to correct, depending on severity.

The marks in the trunnion bar indicate this thing was really cranked on repeatedly. I would check the dowel pin just to make sure the right part is in there. Depending on depth they could possibly be machined. IIWM I'd use it as is first until I was sure everything was working and just replace the bar at a later time.

- David
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

It does look like the fence has repeatedly been over tightened. This has caused the point that the quadrant attaches to the fence bar to be "stretched" out and could be the reason for the fence to not align to the tables. The fence should align to the fence bar and not so much to the end of the table casting. As David suggested check the dowel pin and you can try to bend the quadrant back into the correct position. My other concern with the quadrant would be if the internal/external threaded shaft is stripping out the threads in the quadrant from being overtightened. The quadrant may need to be replaced. Unless the marks in the fence bar are deep and causing locking problems, I wouldn't worry about them.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
droughton
Silver Member

Post by droughton »

Thanks for the info. It will lock down the fence with no movement. I will try it out and see what happens. Thanks again