New here - New Power Pro - New problem.

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

daveg
Silver Member

Re: New here - New Power Pro - New problem.

Post by daveg »

I opened it up, took off the belt and also removed the black fan cover. There wasn't a spec of dust anywhere but I hit it with compressed air anyway. With the belt off it still has the problem but only required a very light touch to get it going. All buttoned back up the problem persists, but it did start spinning properly by itself a few times. Belt deflection is 1/8" or a little more on both belts.

At this point I feel it's either the power supply or something in the circuitry preventing the motor from rotating (it rotates quite easily when powered off), or maybe some kind of corrosion on some contacts somewhere? There is a sticker on the headstock with a 2018 date.
daveg
Silver Member

Post by daveg »

Just want to add a thank you to all of you for the help. I've got some out of town business so I may not be able to put my hands on it for a few weeks. I do appreciate all the ideas.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

daveg wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:42 pm I opened it up, took off the belt and also removed the black fan cover. There wasn't a spec of dust anywhere but I hit it with compressed air anyway. With the belt off it still has the problem but only required a very light touch to get it going. All buttoned back up the problem persists, but it did start spinning properly by itself a few times. Belt deflection is 1/8" or a little more on both belts.

At this point I feel it's either the power supply or something in the circuitry preventing the motor from rotating (it rotates quite easily when powered off), or maybe some kind of corrosion on some contacts somewhere? There is a sticker on the headstock with a 2018 date.
IIWM I'd want to eliminate the switch, power cord, and switch connections before breaking out the checkbook due to the LOW VOLTAGE indication. Easiest way I know to do that is to set up and run the motor, power supply, and control panel on a bench. In your case I would make or adapt a different power cord for the bench test. You can check other connections as you disassemble, watch for connectors not fully seated and pins backed out of connectors. They use an adhesive on the backs of some connectors so I'd think a pushed out pin would be unlikely. I suggest using the DIY video for reference, the motor is heavy and there is a good trick in there of reversing the table to help manage it.

The view is limited, but you can partially inspect the power connections at the switch with just the belt cover removed. You might see something obvious without disassembly.

If you need any help with any of that just ask.

- David
daveg
Silver Member

Post by daveg »

Howdy everyone. I finally had time to address this "lock up" issue. This link https://www.shopsmith.com/mediawiki/ind ... 22_Warning says it is probably the power connector (6 wire molex plug). So tonight I opened it up. It appeared that the individual connectors were not moving in the molex plug, but the female ones did look a little roomy. A pick pushed in between the connector and the plastic plug tightened them up a bit. Headstock reassembled, it appears to be working as desired. Hopefully it will continue working for a long time. I really like the digital speed control.