need help, what is thI s

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

tprowood
Gold Member

need help, what is thI s

Post by tprowood »

Sorting thru the parts that came with mu SS500. Can anyone identify this one? Thanks
Attachments
Screenshot_20240511_123209_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20240511_123209_Gallery.jpg (59.56 KiB) Viewed 434 times
jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: need help, what is thI s

Post by jsburger »

That is a router bit arbor.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

They make a 1/2" router chuck and a 1/4" router chuck. I use a sleeve from from another router chuck for 1/4" bits. I'm not positive that it's all that secure in the Shopsmith 1/2" chuck. I think I'd prefer a collet type chuck for both sizes.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

edma194 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 4:29 pm They make a 1/2" router chuck and a 1/4" router chuck. I use a sleeve from from another router chuck for 1/4" bits. I'm not positive that it's all that secure in the Shopsmith 1/2" chuck. I think I'd prefer a collet type chuck for both sizes.
I don't think I would trust a sleeve in combination with the setscrews either, but IIRC SS used to sell one for the 1/2" chuck. I think it was for 3/8" shanks.(?) I've never seen one. I would like to see SS offer a collet style chuck, preferably one of the industry standards like ER-25 or ER-32 that would then give us availability of a wide range of usable collets, including metric. (0.039" - 0.630" clamping range for ER-25.) Seems an obvious choice for a multi-purpose machine...

The SS router chuck pictured by the OP is the 1/2" version.

- David
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

An adapter sleeve works IF one includes a notch for the set screw to fully contact the bit shank. BTDT A bronze bushing bearing seems to have close enough dimensions.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
tprowood
Gold Member

Post by tprowood »

Thanks to all. I'm leery of setscrews as well, however, that's how (nearly0 all SS attachments are mounted to the head stock drive shaft. So, i guess we are trusting that some engineers did their homework when we do anything with a SS
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

tprowood wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 9:24 am Thanks to all. I'm leery of setscrews as well, however, that's how (nearly0 all SS attachments are mounted to the head stock drive shaft. So, i guess we are trusting that some engineers did their homework when we do anything with a SS
The setscrews for mounting the chuck on the main spindle aren't a problem. The angled flat on the spindle will keep the attachments on securely. Router bits don't have that feature. Two of the set screws in the router chuck are to hold the bit in securely, only one is needed to mount the chuck securely on the spindle.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
SteveMaryland
Gold Member

Post by SteveMaryland »

I'm sure this has been pointed out elsewhere on this forum before, but any kind of setscrew-secured shaft is inherently non-concentric, whereas a collet-secured shaft is inherently concentric. Maybe not by much, but at high RPM (as with a router) it really matters. There has to be some amount of slop in a setscrew mount, and this always results in some eccentricity of the rotary tool when mounted.

Shopsmith got away with setscrew router bit arbors because the Shopsmith RPM's were not high enough to matter much. And cheaper than collets, of course.

Replacing all setscrew-type cutting tool mounts with collet mounts would eliminate one source of Shopsmith inaccuracy.
Mark V, Model 555510, Serial No. 102689, purchased November 1989. Upgraded to 520
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

While we be on the subject of set screws, do be aware that cup tip and serrated cup screws are to be avoided. Flat or oval tip are the proper choice.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Matanuska
Gold Member

Post by Matanuska »

JPG wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 2:49 am While we be on the subject of set screws, do be aware that cup tip and serrated cup screws are to be avoided. Flat or oval tip are the proper choice.
Might this depend on the particular tool, arbor, or drive hub being anchored? Serrated set screws being preferred for more permanent drive hub attachments on SPT's perhaps?
1985 Mark V upgraded to 520 PowerPro. Shopsmith cast iron table bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, and 60's vintage 610 jigsaw SPT's. Makita 2040 15" planer, JessEm Mast-R-Lift II router table.