Confusing "Date Lines"

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Confusing "Date Lines"

Post by dusty »

I occasionally find myself reading posts that are "not current". In fact, sometimes they are ancient. I have scanned the entire thread and don't find a current entry (recently dated) anywhere in the thread. I have posted once or twice only to learn later that I was reviving a thread that had been "closed" for all practical purposes.

Am I doing something wrong or is this a quirk in the system software?
john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

Dusty:

You are not the only one. I always click on "New Posts" but sometimes end up with old ones. Not being technically inclined, I at first wondered if I did something wrong. Now I just shrug and move on.

Have fun

John
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

dustywoodworker wrote:... I have posted once or twice only to learn later that I was reviving a thread that had been "closed" for all practical purposes.

Am I doing something wrong or is this a quirk in the system software?
Don't think there is a quirk or that you are doing something wrong. I think it's just right! If someone, old or new member, reads one of the very first threads and wants to add something - More power to him/her. It'll show with the date of the last post and be read, maybe commented on further!
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Old posts showing up

Post by a1gutterman »

Gentlemen,
If your computer keeps the web pages that you visit (and most do), it shows you the same view that you last saw when viewing it, even if there are additional posts, i.e. when you ask to see a new post, and you are directed to a thread that you do not find a new post showing, you are looking at your saved page rather than the updated page. The next time it happens to you, try hitting the refresh button on your browser's tool bar. After refreshing the page, you should see the new posts!:)
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

a1gutterman wrote:Gentlemen,
If your computer keeps the web pages that you visit (and most do), it shows you the same view that you last saw when viewing it, even if there are additional posts, i.e. when you ask to see a new post, and you are directed to a thread that you do not find a new post showing, you are looking at your saved page rather than the updated page. The next time it happens to you, try hitting the refresh button on your browser's tool bar. After refreshing the page, you should see the new posts!:)
Well, that depends on how you have your preferences set up. My Mac will show the updated page when I reopen the site. Now, if the site is already open, it doesn't update unless I hit refresh. The problem I have seen is if I don't read the new posts soon after I open the page, for some reason it forgets that there are new posts that I haven't read. Go figure!