Latest Greenie Project

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

thainglo
Gold Member

Latest Greenie Project

Post by thainglo »

Picked up my next restoration project last night outside Birmingham, AL. Serial #312623 - build date of Oct/Nov 1955. As the pictures show, pretty rough condition. I've been looking for an excuse to use the sandblast cabinet I built earlier this year! The wife is pushing me to create a DVD of this project, detailing each step with the tips and tricks I've learned over the last several rebuilds. Could be she's looking for justification for the DVD video camera she bought a few years ago that hasn't yet come out of the case!

For $200, got the Shopsmith, plus an original jointer and a modern bandsaw. Also liked the original box for SPT connectors - they're all there, two that look like they are missing were still mounted to the quill when I took the picture.

Big chunk out of the carriage table, covered with a plate. Was hoping to use Mike's JB Weld technique, but that's going to be tough with the piece missing. Any ideas?

Good times ahead!
[ATTACH]4970[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]4971[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]4972[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]4973[/ATTACH]
Attachments
55 Greenie Original.jpg
55 Greenie Original.jpg (71.37 KiB) Viewed 7326 times
55 Jointer 2.jpg
55 Jointer 2.jpg (75.83 KiB) Viewed 7325 times
55 Bandsaw (Modern).jpg
55 Bandsaw (Modern).jpg (70.35 KiB) Viewed 7331 times
55 Carriage Damage.jpg
55 Carriage Damage.jpg (70.98 KiB) Viewed 7328 times
Lost count, over a dozen rebuilt/repaired/restored
Personal equipment: 510 made in 1993, belt sander, jig saw, band saw, planer and jointer

Matt in GA
thainglo
Gold Member

Post by thainglo »

Forgot to post the picture of the connector hubs in original box. Cool!

[ATTACH]4974[/ATTACH]
Attachments
55 Hubs.jpg
55 Hubs.jpg (74.78 KiB) Viewed 7338 times
Personal equipment: 510 made in 1993, belt sander, jig saw, band saw, planer and jointer

Matt in GA
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

thainglo wrote:Picked up my next restoration project last night outside Birmingham, AL. Serial #312623 - build date of Oct/Nov 1955. As the pictures show, pretty rough condition. I've been........

Big chunk out of the carriage table, covered with a plate. Was hoping to use Mike's JB Weld technique, but that's going to be tough with the piece missing. Any ideas?

Good times ahead!

Sweet deal considering you got those SPT's!!! Congrats. You'll have to change your signature file to 9 greenies? (this must be that ShopSmith addiction we've heard so much about!!:D ) I'm to the point that I won't even look at Craigslist anymore. I have to finish what I have and start using them before I buy another or else I'll continue to be a restorer and not a woodworker / restorer.

With the piece missing on the carriage, your going to have to be creative. Off the top of my head is trace out the shape on the plate that covers it, JB Weld just the perimeter leaving the outer surface shy of the carriage surface and use body filler to create the final surfaces. You got any experience with bondo? If not, I can give you a few hints to make the learning curve less steep.
Mike
Sunny San Diego
thainglo
Gold Member

Post by thainglo »

mickyd wrote:With the piece missing on the carriage, your going to have to be creative. Off the top of my head is trace out the shape on the plate that covers it, JB Weld just the perimeter leaving the outer surface shy of the carriage surface and use body filler to create the final surfaces. You got any experience with bondo? If not, I can give you a few hints to make the learning curve less steep.
You know what they say about great minds! That was the plan I had come up with while checking it out this morning. Not familiar with the bondo, will welcome any tips you've got.

Sig count was already updated to eight, although I had to write them all down to make sure the count was right. I don't have a problem... I can quit anytime I want... (tremble, shiver) :D

Matt in GA
tdubnik
Platinum Member

Post by tdubnik »

Could you cut a patch that closely matches the missing piece and then use the JB Weld to secure it in place?